Strut questions

opalbeetle

Hello,

I know that 710s are camber challenged and wonder about swapping struts. I also know the 280zx struts are a common upgrade (I used them on my 510) and the reasons for doing so. They narrow the track of a 710, right? Would I need to change control arms as well or just the struts?

Are 510 struts better than 710 struts?

Would camber plates adjust far enough on a 710 to correct the camber? If they did, would the 510 camber plates work?

Todd

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 510 and early 710 struts were the same I believe. Later 710 struts have the larger spindle or spindle bearings which are more desirable. I think they are the same as the zx size.

Yes the 710s are camber challenged and my '76 came with Moog plates on it. My '74 seems ok without them but sits sky high at the front. If I lowered it, I'm sure it would throw it out.

I installed Maxima struts on the '76 which are pretty much the same as the later zx ones. They are about 1 1/2" shorter (not that much really) and I cut one full coil off the 710 spring to raise the spring rate about 50%. I removed the lower spring seat and use adjustable split collars to adjust the height, about $10 a side. With the Maxima struts and lowered down with about a finger space above the tire and the fender rim I have the camber plates maxed out toward the middle of the car.

I want to try something like this on the '74. I have an extra set of '77 710 struts to work with. I have this radical idea to remove some camber from the strut but I want to accomplish it first before posting about it in case it doesn't work.