L Series Transmission - Won't go into all gears

datsun65

About 2 years ago, I purchased a very nice L18 engine from a 620 with an attached transmission.

The transmission was the long styled type and required shortening of the driveshaft to make it fit into my 510. I had always assumed it was a 5spd transmission (Not positive). I have recently mounted the new drivetrain into the 510, but haven't yet installed the clutch hydraulics (no clutch slave, clutch master).

Once the shift stick was attached, I tried going the the gears. First through fourth worked nice. Very crisp with no slop through the gears. However, I can't find either 5th or Reverse at all. I thought I should be able to shift the transmission into all gears prior to hooking up the hydraulics. Yet, I can't seem to find 5th or reverse.

Is this possible cause due to the hydraulic system not yet being attached? or , is there an issue with the transmission.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It might not go into reverse with the clutch engaged since there's no synchros in reverse. Usually though putting it in 1st then going to reverse will work.

As for 5th, it may not exist. But need to see what it looks like to tell- if it has a plate on top just forward of the shifter, it's a 4-speed.

It might not go into reverse with the clutch engaged since there's no synchros in reverse. Usually though putting it in 1st then going to reverse will work.

As for 5th, it may not exist. But need to see what it looks like to tell- if it has a plate on top just forward of the shifter, it's a 4-speed.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Here is a picture of the transmission. Can you help ID whether this is a 4spd or 5spd by this photo?

transmission.jpg

Thanks for the quick reply.

Here is a picture of the transmission. Can you help ID whether this is a 4spd or 5spd by this photo?

transmission.jpg

On the far side of the trannie there is a (19mm?) bolt....by the shifter.

Remove it....and see if that metal sleeve is rusted in place, it's spring loaded for fifth and reverse.

Here....center of pic

Not sure if yours is so 'equipped'....some early trannies had a lever in the tail stock to keep the driver from shifting from 5th to reverse directly

62g.jpg

Mine was rusted solid.

Thus no 5th or reverse

EDIT

If it is....fill hole with WD and or and keep working the shifter until the metal plug starts to move. Then grab it with some needle nose.

Clean it up...lube and replace

Edited by Sealik

Sealik, thanks for the comments & pictures.

Do you agree that this transmission is indeed a 5spd? Is it a 280z transmission?

Per Datsunalholic's comments, I don't see a plate just forward of the shifter, so I don't think it is a 4-spd.

Will put the car on a lift tomorrow, and check and see if it has the 5th/Reverse lever. The trans has been probably stored indoors for 20+ years. It looked to be in very good condition, but maybe the 5th/reverse lever it is stuck, as indicated.

Its a 4 speed made before '80 so I doubt it will have the reverse check sleeve described by Sealik.

The plate just forward of the shifter is there. It has 6 bolts holding it and a breather cap.

1.. 3

2...4..R

Does the shifter go over to the right of the 3-4 gate? and then down int reverse?

Try to go far right and back then turn the input spline and see if the output spline at the back turns opposite direction. If so you have reverse

Does the shifter go over to the right of the 3-4 gate? and then down int reverse?

Thank you , Mike. The shifter can move over a bit to the right from 3rd & 4th. However, it doesn't go into reverse (or 5th gear, if it was a 5spd), The trans and engine are mounted in the car, but there are no clutch hydraulics hooked up. To get to the transmission input spline, I guess I'd have to drop the transmission, correct?