Gear set ID

Dawgz83948

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fatcat I think you are thinking of the 720 engine tag. The 620 doesn't have one that lists the rear ratio for the differential.

The '72-'78 standard transmission 620s had a 4.375 ratio. The '79 had a 4.11

The '72-Sept '73 automatic had a 4.625 and 4.375 from Oct '73 through '79.

Have you had the speedo pinion out? Any reason it would be damaged?

Be sure the transmission cable end is properly fitted and locked into the transmission drive pinion. Now pull the dash end off and drive or push the vehicle several feet. Does the cable turn??? If so either the gauge end isn't properly seating or the gauge is not working for some reason.

Speedocable005Large.jpg

The diff seems to have junk yard tags on it (paint pen). Any physical way of verifying it? The cable is nex and installed correctly. I think I figured out the problem though. The transmission in the car is a 280zx transmission so it's probably the upside down speedo gear issue I was reading about.

Yes, '80 and on transmissions will not work with pre '80s speedo pinions. There is a way around this.

Take the pinion out and with an angle grinder and a cut off blade, (about $5) carefully cut a notch for the key as close to 180 from the one on there now. This is what I did on my 710 5 speed install. I was getting desperate to get it working and should have taken pictures but once installed and working I wasn't going to take it out again. :P I have an early '79 zx but put a '85 720 diesel tailstock on it and didn't have the proper pinion for it.

Here's picture (not mine) of what I mean ...

pre80pinionint0post80ransmods001.jpg

Cheaper than a rear end.