Truck: Lowering Shackles vs blocks

skyblue

Hey guys, did some searching on here and couldn't find anything on lowering shackles for trucks. I went into my local parts store and saw some lowering shackles, similar to these on their shelves next to the lowering blocks.

djmsh25992_1.jpg?&t=UmVhciAtIExvd2VyaW5nIFNoYWNrbGVzIC0gMiI=&n=REpNIFNVU1BFTlNJT04gTEVBRiBTUFJJTkcgTE9XRVJJTkcgU0hBQ0tMRVMsIDItU1BSSU5HIFNFVCAtLSBQcm92aWRlcyAyIGluLiByZWFyIGRyb3A7IERvZXMgbm90IGluY2x1ZGUgaGFuZ2Vycy4=

Does anyone have any insight on these? Like is one better than the other?

thx

SB

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well if you have a 521, whick is my guess, your not going to have a shackle configured like that...

itll be like this..

0901clt_10_z+chevy_3100_total_cost_involved_rear_leaf_spring_kit_upgrade+new_leaf_spring_shackles.jpg

you might be able to make a shorter shackle, but you have to remember that when you compress a leaf sping, as the leaf gets flatter, it get a bit longer... the whole need for the shackle...

• 1 month later...

Looks like you got your answer if you are just going for the quick and cheap drop,but I would go for a 4-link rear set up with a notched frame for the ultimate drop suspension travel.Depends how far you want to take the customizing/money spending or DIY stuff. In my experience with leaf spring/block combos the ride quality becomes pretty harsh being so close to hitting the frame especially after trimming the bump stops.

Looks like you got your answer if you are just going for the quick and cheap drop,but I would go for a 4-link rear set up with a notched frame for the ultimate drop suspension travel.Depends how far you want to take the customizing/money spending or DIY stuff. In my experience with leaf spring/block combos the ride quality becomes pretty harsh being so close to hitting the frame especially after trimming the bump stops.

4 links are nice an all, but a notch and new shocks are just fine. There's nothing wrong with PROPERLY done drop with leafs.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so lets get into this, what is the proper drop with leaf springs? I also want to get my rear end lower without having to go to a 4 link. Is it safe to just go cutting into the frame, or do you cut out the whole section of the frame when you notch? Is there a place that sells weld in notches that will fit the datsuns?

so when lowering a leaf spring axle, there are some common ways of doing it.

A: lowering blocks. plain and simple; they move your axle away from the spring pack, causing the axle to be closer to your frame, increasing the chance of your axle contacting the frame.

B: taking away leafs from the leaf spring pack, not advisable... this will decrease your spring rate, causing the natural weight of the truck to flatten the spring out (if doing this, beware of broken main leafs)

C: reverse arching your spring pack, again, not very advisable. take the leaf pack out of the truck, unbolt the center bolt of the pack, put the bottom pring on top, and the top spring on bottom. replace center bolt upside down from original oreintation. install spring pack upside down from original oreintation... keep in mind that leaf springs are heat treated, and they have a grain. the metal has been "trained" to carry a load a certain way, flipping them upside down may hinder payload capacity.

when doing any of these, it will become increasingly likely for your axle to contact the frame, all you need to do is get the frame out of the axles way (cut and paste a notch)... when doing a four link, it is also necessary to get the frame out of the axles way, so unless your going for adjustability, and cornering ability a four link is not necessary...

you can buy premade frame notches, they come too long, you will have to cut them to fit. as mind as well make yer own

four link is just another way to secure the axle in place... it would open you up to adjustable coil overs, in turn giving you more adjustment to create a better ride/ handling... leaf springs are good, they have been used since the begging of vehicles (horse drawn wagons)