NEW TOYZ NEW TOYZ

just got in my new clutch setup.

2011-08-28%25252010.11.37.jpg

NEW Quartermaster 5.5" datsun flywheel, used Datsun Malvern racing starter adapter, and a lightly used 5.5" 2 plate quartermaster clutch setup.

the flywheel is 4 pounds and the clutch is about 3. Still need to buy some clutch plates(not sure if I'm gonna use a datsun trans yet)

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you plan to use it on the track only. Those clutches don't like being slipped. They can even be a challenge getting a racecar into the trailer without burning the clutch up.

This car is so light I could single handedly push it onto a trailer. Also have a winch..

I have an SD22 71B trans with the super short 1st gear that I'm thinking about using then changing 5th gear out to a 77-79 280z .86 ratio. (also found in the comp Overdrive box)

Master,

Here are some other areas that need to be addressed when using a small diameter flywheel.

The Malvern adapter is used to offset the starter for the smaller diameter flywheel. The OE nose from a gear reduction starter is removed and the Malvern plate is installed on the starter. Here is a picture (the starter on left) of the 2 piece nose gear reduction starter that is needed to use the Malvern plate.

07242011179-1.jpg

There is another style gear reduction starter that has a one piece nose casting. This one will not work. The easiest way to identify this starter is the steel plate that is held on with screws inside the gear end. I beleive this picture is of an A seres sterter, but it gives you the general idea of what a one piece nose casting looks like.

P1010742.jpg

Front view of a one piece nose casting. The sheet metal plate and screws hold the reduction gears/bearings into the housing. On the 2 piece nose there are are no screws/bolts here.

187-0137.jpg

If you get into a bind and cannot find a 2 piece nose casting starter, buy a Hitachi gear reduction high performance starter for a small block Chevy. These can be bought from a place like Summit Racing. The Malvern mounting plate can then be swapped with the Chevy mount that it comes with.

Also to get the starter w/adapter on the engine you will need to grind a cast boss off the block. There is a triangular shaped projection on the very back of the block that will need to be removed so the starter will fit into location. It can be seen in this picture of an l18, right next to the starter hole in the sandwich plate. This area must be ground flush with the rest of the block to install the sarter/adapter.

IMG_2131.jpg

This car is so light I could single handedly push it onto a trailer. Also have a winch..

I have an SD22 71B trans with the super short 1st gear that I'm thinking about using then changing 5th gear out to a 77-79 280z .86 ratio. (also found in the comp Overdrive box)

Regarding swapping out 5th gear. If in both transmissions (SD22 vs. Z car) the input shaft gear and the cluster or lay shaft forward gear that it engages with each have the same number of teeth, top and bottom , then the 5th gear ratio will change when 5th gear is swapped between transmissions. If the tooth count is different, the 5th gear ratio will not be the same as the ratio it was in the transmission it was removed from. You may find that .86 Z car 5th has the same tooth count as the SD22 5th and the input/cluster gear count is different and that is what is making the 5th gear ratio different not the actual 5th gear gears.

If you go to the link below, it is a post I made to the Bluebird List taht will help to better explain what I am trying to describe above. Once there if you hit the "Thread View" button in the header bar, you can find other correspondence from that thread on the topic.

BB List Post Link:

http://datsun510.com/bbmail/2008-1/1441.html