Timing chain setup questions

Just Joel

After searching and reading, I have yet to find an exact answer to my question. Last night, I set up my timing chain and in the process of doing so, wasn't paying attention to bolt placement on the chain guides and managed to mount the slack side guid with the bolts lacking the flat washer. Now, this wouldn't be a huge problem but I have already installed the timing cover and if I remove it to fix the bolts, I would need a new gasket set for installation. My question is, how critical is this? No question fix it or in your experience will it be ok? Keep in mind the bolts went in dry with no thread locker (another mistake) Also, I set the new timing chain up on the number one cam gear setting, is this correct? I found conflicting info between manuals and its not totally clear weather I use number one or two. Sorry for the lame simple questions but hopefully they are easily answered.

Thanks

Joel

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the flat washer gives more support. But I always wondered this also as I almost have dont this too.

its up to you but you have time to do it the right way and get new front cover gaskets. You should have stacks of them as we all do right?

L20s come from the factory in cam Position #2

You have a stock cam or after market?????? more advance the sooner the power. Thats what they say.

if you want power faster on the ground like around town driving and after market cam I would but to #2 or #3 but thats my OPINION only.

Thanks bud, I was watching your video last night when realized I goofed. Also, the section you talk about cam gear position was between videos and I think I may have missed it. So its a stock cam... I should setup in position two?

I've never used any loctite on those bolts...just torqued to specs and a smidge more :D

Haven't lost one yet.

On sprocket position.....that depends on how you drive.

As Hainz stated...No 2 stock position.

No 1...more top end...loose a little bottom end

No 3...more bottom end...loose a little top end.

Mine is at No 3...better out of the hole, and I did have it to 6000 RPM with no issues... :D

But...my cam is not stock.

Set it up at No 2....you can test the other sprocket positions...'down the road'