Tachometer Installation

zerow

The path to sedan completion slowly shortens with each passing day, and I do not want to wire my factory tachometer incorrectly...

I used to have a copy of the Technical Service Bulletin for intalling the factory tachometer with its associated wiring, but alas, 2 continents later and I cannot find the blasted thing :angry:

Any help will be appreciated. I want the dashboard in before too long and this is hanging me up... :)

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nevermind...figured it out. <_<

And if you should follow the Factory Service Manual for any reason to hook up the factory tachometer, it is WRONG!!! Like sex in a crib WRONG!!! Like hunting for a wife at a family gathering WRONG!!! (Did mention it is WRONG!!!)?

Lets just put it this way...DO NOT connect all of the wires they way it shows...Although the tachometer was saved, I torched the back of the dash cluster...oh well, I will at least know how fast I am going and how fast the engine is turning...

Four wires come from the back of the tachometer...two are connected together (male and female spades), one Red/Yellow wire for ground and one Black/White wire that gets connected to the signal wire from the ( - ) side of the coil.

The service manual says to disconnect a Black/Red and Black/Green wire from the bottom of the instrument cluster and connect them to the spade ends that are currently connected together...MISTAKE!!! The signal wire from the coil and ground connection to the dash cluster are ALL that you need...