Replacing inner fender & core support without swapping entire cab possible?

I rear ended a guy at 30mph and his bumper killed a few things on my front end. Sucks sucks sucks. So I have inner fender damage and core support damage. Is it possible to replace those pieces without replacing the entire cab?

It looks like its all one piece with the firewall but without taking off the fender I don't know.

So please help me out, I'm feeling pretty crappy about this.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is possible.

You unbolt what you can.

Remove all the stuff (wiring, things mounted on the panels, and probably pull the engine.

The metal pieces are spot welded on the cab. You will need new pieces that are probably not available.

It you were actually going around 30 MPH, the frame might be "racked", the right side farther forward that the left, if you hit the left side.

After all the damaged panels are replaced, you will have to realign the hood, the doors and the fenders.

A better option might be to find a good cab from another 620, and just swap the cab.

This will be a long project either way, you probably need to get another car. Riding a bike in Bend is OK, now, but it will not be fun in February.

My 620 has been repaired by slicing off the front end and welding another one on. Mine was cut about a foot behind the lights but you could cut further back.

I trimmed this '78 about an inch forward of the firewall. My figuring was I would trim the truck it was going on 2-3 inches for some overlap, and weld together.

forsale004Large.jpg

My 620 has been repaired by slicing off the front end and welding another one on. Mine was cut about a foot behind the lights but you could cut further back.

I trimmed this '78 about an inch forward of the firewall. My figuring was I would trim the truck it was going on 2-3 inches for some overlap, and weld together.

forsale004Large.jpg

Yeah I was hoping I wouldn't have to do this. But if it is the only way which it looks to be that way I will hit up the salvage yard and get that whole piece. it doesn't seem too tough just a pain in the ass as far as the cutting goes. Thanks for all the help. Oh on a related note I need a new radiator, radiator shroud, and grill. Anyone have a finger on these parts? Ebay is way over priced!

• 2 weeks later...