Some consideration when replace the transmission oil on a 521?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Use a brand that says "Yellow Metal Safe" if you cannot locate any GL4 80w90. The F4W63 should hold about 2 liters.

You may want to try a synthetic oil and there are some advantages beside lowering friction. The transmission may run quieter and shift better. A possible disadvantage is that the synthetic oil is so slippery that it will get past old worn seals and leak. I replaced the oil in my transfer case and within a month the upper input seal, the one that is furthest above the oil, began leaking. I replaced it and it was good and still is.

No. The synthetic is a great choice but ill use later. Well if i put a 80W90 GL5 there will be some damage?

Yes in this case the R4W63 hold 2 litres.

Thanks

yes, damage, it corodes the brass, ok in emegencies i guess but if you have synchros and bushings that work use gl4 or somehing that says safe for gl4.

It will be labled "GL5". Then read the label to ensure it also says "GL4"

If it does not mention GL-4, keep looking. I used 80W-90, it is very good for Datsuns.

Even if it mentions GL4, it's not always yellow metal safe. The Napa brand GL-5/GL-4 isn't yellow metal safe, neither is the Autozone stuff.

Edited by metalmonkey47
  • 3 weeks later...