Correct Gear Oil for R4W63 transmission

JP521

Hi!!! My Datsun 521 have the R4W63 transmission (column shift) and its time to change the oil. So i was wondering which oil is right for this transmission?.

Well it's going to be the first time I change the transmission oil so i decide to try Castrol gear oil. According to the owner manual indicates API GL-4 Castrol Hypoy 90, but this designation is already so old.

What oil should I use and is currently on the market?

The temperature range in my contry goes to 0º to 32ºC so i think would be a 80W or 90W but Castrol have other and new designations for his products in the market. So please some information would be apreciated.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

So this is the oil you use: http://www.valvoline...ce_Gear_Oil.pdf, and acording to this data sheet is GL-4 oil, right? Or you buyed another?

I do not trust that for a transmission, should be fine for a differential. It says GL5 as well. Problem is that that it is not yellow metal safe, so it can destroy the synchros.

I dont think any GL5 is good for the transmissions, and it should say yellow metal safe.

actually, that does meet GL-4 spec. And it specifically contains corrosion resistant additives.

Copper and brass parts can be corroded by the sulphur additives (if moisture gets to the parts). GL-4 had less sulphur additive than GL-5. Typically modern GL-4 buffers the sulphur (inactivates it chemically with yet more additives).

An oil marked as GL-4/GL-5 meets both specifications. Regular GL-5 does not meet GL-4 specs.

Those of us using GL-4/GL-5 have had no problems. Some using regular GL-5 have reported problems.

I quick note on GL-5 only gear lube as I understand it.

It lubricates too well and does not allow brass/bronze synchro rings to grip enough to match gear speeds when shifted quickly. If you have changed your transmission fluid and find that you now are grinding gears when you weren't before, check to see if the fluid used was GL-5. That may be the problem.

In short use a GL-4 rated gear lube in all older brass/bronze synchro Datsun transmissions. I use Redline MTL in my racecars, works great.