l16 coolant leak

gwb

So I had my dime running a while back with the stock rad. Long story short, got the Fiero radiator and now I'm getting coolant leaks from what it looks like the intake mani. gasket and the thermostat housing. Now it only starts to leak when I put the radiator cap on the radiator, so I guess it's "over pressurizing" so to speak. So is there something I am overlooking or are the old gaskets just "used" to the stock radiator and will need to be replaced?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The old rad cap may have been bad or a leak that prevented the system pressurizing. Now with the proper sealed system the leaks show up.

The intake you can try tightening but be careful on the thermostat housing the bolts may be seized. Try removing them and replace the gasket.

L16 heads or the ealy head have a water passage from the hot water line to the intake manifold then in the head.

If intake bolts are loose. esp the lower they can leak or suck in water making it look like a bad head gasket.

Over a period of time I have had Felpro gaskets blow out under neath on the exhaust side(making me think I had a exhaust leak) so there is where I would ck first.

On the stat housing. If you ever try to replace the sender the housing can crack. But most like its just the gasket on the stat housing and try to replace it and see what happens. I use anti seize on those bolt as they get wet and rust.