Clutch chatter on brand new clutch

Anyone ever experienced it?

I noticed that in reverse I occasionally get a nasty bit of clutch chatter when in reverse at around 2400RPM backing out of my driveway.

At the same time, it seems like the clutch is getting slipperier every day to the point that it's a burden getting off a hill.

I spoke to a few guys at work that think I might just have a weak pressure plate, however it's all brand new.

At the same time, I was recommended that I might just have the old pressure plate re-built by a local clutch shop (well known for their quality parts and work) to be a little stiffer and stronger.

Any advice or thoughts on this?

Also, this is on an A series

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, yes, too many times for sure it chatters. But if it only does it in reverse I doubt if it is the clutch. Why stronger? The standard clutch is fine for a stock A15. Chattering is usually a misaligned/worn pressure plate, grease on the clutch face, or burnt facings.

As for the slippage, almost always that is caused by mis-adjustment (unless the clutch is worn out). How much play do you have between the slave cylinder adjustment nut and the release lever?

This is what I found last week: Grease in the bellhousing.

23551.jpg

Clutch was 'grabby' and chattered

not worn at all, but smelled like burnt oil

23556.jpg

I simply used brake cleaner to clean the flywheel and pressure plate and fitted a new disk. Now it is smooth as butter.

23558.jpg

GGZilla, It has done it in 1'st before on a hill, but only when I'm trying real hard to get away. I try to slip it as little as possible, but I'm finding it more and more difficult to do so. I really just want a stronger pressure plate, to provide more clamping force. It doesn't grab very hard at higher RPM's.

My adjustments are right on whatever it was you mentioned in my previous thread that I had specifically for my slippage issue after replacing my clutch. It helped for a while, but It's slowly started slipping gradually more every day.

I'll get pictures of my old clutch parts tomorrow, and see if there's anything odd you might notice.

my guess is some grease got on the disk. That'll cause chattering and slipping both. It can come from the pilot bushing, the input shaft splines or sometimes from the release bearing.

Any aftermarket clutch is plenty strong to grab a lil A15 torque. Only the genuine Nissan pressure plates are lower clamping force (for easier operation).

my guess is some grease got on the disk. That'll cause chattering and slipping both. It can come from the pilot bushing, the input shaft splines or sometimes from the release bearing.

Any aftermarket clutch is plenty strong to grab a lil A15 torque. Only the genuine Nissan pressure plates are lower clamping force (for easier operation).

Perhaps I over greased the throw out bearing? Hmmm.... well my current one is on warranty where I work, so I'll just snag another and go lift my car up at my friends shop.