5 speed to auto

first off id like to say hello!! im new to this forum and any help would be aprecciatted.

i have a 1976 620 that i got a few months back, its sittin on a 720 frame with the z24 engine, it used to be a 5spd but i replaced with an automatic trans.

there is 4 wires coming out of the trans on the passenger side and since my truck used to be a 5 speed it didnt have those, does anyone know what theyre supposed to plug into??

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Red/Black stripe wires are for the back up lights.

The White/Black stripe and the Black/White stripe wires are the interlock that only allow starts in PARK and NEUTRAL.... and no you don't have to have them, but it would prevent the car from jumping ahead if you accidentally tried to start the car while in gear. I had an old Dodge I changed the auto in and it would do that. I guess it stalled on me and I got out to check the choke and got in thinking it was in PARK and it took off almost hitting someone under the hood. I hooked it up properly after that.

So the S wire on the ignition switch will go through the transmission switch.

Yes you can connect 620 gauges but the connectors are different. 620 on 720 frame. The 620 cab should have the 620 dash wiring. Which 720 wiring are you asking about? The engine compartment wiring?

Yes you can connect 620 gauges but the connectors are different. 620 on 720 frame. The 620 cab should have the 620 dash wiring. Which 720 wiring are you asking about? The engine compartment wiring?

It does not even need to go to the ignition switch - you can wire it through the solenoid wire. More direct (in terms of location) and less worry about providing less voltage to any other vital circuits (namely ignition coil).

Simply remove the wire from the solenoid and wire it in series with the inhibitor switch. The other side of the wiring from the inhibitor switch will connect to the solenoid completing the circuit.

OR Wire it with a relay. Make one side of the inhibitor switch go straight to ground. The other side will be wired to the relay to provide ground when the ignition circuit is on. The solenoid could then obtain much needed 12 volts direct from the battery and be switched on ONLY if the transmission is in Park or Neutral.

i dont have the 620 harnes only the plugs that connect to each electrical part..and the 720 harness im talkin about is the one i have everything i have i 720 ..the only thing thats 620 is the cab n the bed...i bought the 620 like that with no front suspension or motor n trans.. so i just sat it on my 720 drive train (chassis motor trans rear end all 720)

so my question is will my 620 gauges work with the 720 wiring?? i know id have to be spliced n conected to the 720 harness..

i hope im explainin myself well enough...i can be hard to understand me sumtimes...lol

and if this is possible does anyone have a the pinouts?

It does not even need to go to the ignition switch - you can wire it through the solenoid wire. More direct (in terms of location) and less worry about providing less voltage to any other vital circuits (namely ignition coil).

Simply remove the wire from the solenoid and wire it in series with the inhibitor switch. The other side of the wiring from the inhibitor switch will connect to the solenoid completing the circuit.

OR Wire it with a relay. Make one side of the inhibitor switch go straight to ground. The other side will be wired to the relay to provide ground when the ignition circuit is on. The solenoid could then obtain much needed 12 volts direct from the battery and be switched on ONLY if the transmission is in Park or Neutral.

yes i like the idea of a relay.. i dont do relays but ill have my pops help me with that..

thx .

i dont have the 620 harnes only the plugs that connect to each electrical part..and the 720 harness im talkin about is the one i have everything i have i 720 ..the only thing thats 620 is the cab n the bed...i bought the 620 like that with no front suspension or motor n trans.. so i just sat it on my 720 drive train (chassis motor trans rear end all 720)

so my question is will my 620 gauges work with the 720 wiring?? i know id have to be spliced n conected to the 720 harness..

i hope im explainin myself well enough...i can be hard to understand me sumtimes...lol

and if this is possible does anyone have a the pinouts?

You should get a 620 dash harness for the wiper, heater. And splice into the headlights, running lights, brake lights... ignition. on the 720 frame.

And yes, 720 wiring will work with 620 gauges if you splice correctly according to pinout. But I second Mike's recommendation to get a 620 dash harness. It will fit the gagues, wiper etc. and you'll have less connections to make to the 720 wiring.

Pinouts and wiring diagrams are in the factory service manuals.

awesum...and i like the idea of just one harness...ao ill proly keep the 720 one all round.

as far as a heater n wipers i dont need i was planning on shaving the cowl neway..and my 620 didnt come with the heater unit neway neither did the 720..lol

all i really gta do is splice my turn signal switch n the gauges into the harness im workin with..

• 1 month later...

first off id like to say hello!! im new to this forum and any help would be aprecciatted.

i have a 1976 620 that i got a few months back, its sittin on a 720 frame with the z24 engine, it used to be a 5spd but i replaced with an automatic trans.

there is 4 wires coming out of the trans on the passenger side and since my truck used to be a 5 speed it didnt have those, does anyone know what theyre supposed to plug into??

2 of the wires are for the kick down solenoid. i believe it was the black/yellow and black wires