Transmission will not go into 3rd or 4th, help!

Datguy

I just bought a 66 Roadster. Drives great, awesome car. Second time out, the tranny stopped going into 3rd, and then 4th gear. Limped home in second. Occasionally it will go into 3rd and 4th, but not most of the time. There was very little oil in the case, so I replaced it with synthetic oil (no help). I pulled the pan and checked the gears. Everything looks great. The third gear synchro is missing two teeth, but everything else looks perfect. I can watch the shift fork move, and it won't slide far enough to engage either 3rd or 4th. Since it in not working on 3rd and 4th, which share a shift rod; and it will work sometimes, I think it's a linkage issue. I cannot find anywhere to adjust the throw on the fork. Does anyone have any ideas?? Thanks for any help on this one. Trannys are strange beasts.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the shift lever go into 3 and 4th position like normal? Or does it jam?

Hey Mike, thanks for replying. The shift lever moves like normal, it doesn't jam or get hung up. However, it doesn't move the syncro gears far enough. Occasionally I can feel it go into gear and verify that by trying to move the car. Most of the time it's just "loose" feeling when it goes to 3rd or 4th. It's almost like there's something seriously worn out in the shift mechanism. Thanks for any help or ideas you have. It's getting close to a tranny pull, and I don't want to do that.

Not much you can do with it in the car. There are no adjustments that can be made to it. I think tetranny you have looks just like the 510 4 speed only a longer tailstock???Is this right? (Oooops... haveto go back to work, more later)

Found the problem. The roll pin for the 3rd 4th shift fork was broken. The fork was repositioned wrong on the shift rod, and would not go into third. Occasionally the fork would slide on the shift rod and then neither 3rd or 4th would work. Luckily I was monkey'n with the gears, moving the engaging gear back and forth with a screwdriver, and the fork moved on the shaft. Once I saw that, it was tap the pin out, tap the new one back in. 25 cents and I'm back in business.