AC and schrader valve?

The AC on my 210 wagon has been working fine, thought it could be a little cooler. I removed the Low pressure side blue cap, and it shot freon out like there was no Schrader valve in the stem. This car had the conversion over to 134 and has been working fine for a couple of years. I'm sure I've removed the blue cap before without a problem. Tried a couple of times to make the valve work, but seems like there is nothing in there. Do the valves get stuck, destroy them selves, unscrew themselves, or just deterioriate? I screwed the blue cap back on, but without loosing all of the freon, I see no way to repair or change out the schrader valve. Am I correct, those conversion kits from R12 > 134 depress the original schrader valve and then the adapter has the working one. If I quickly unscrew the adapter, the original Schrader valve should work and stop the freon from leaking?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe. It has been sitting for some time now. I have seen many bike tube schraders stop working, either get stuck open, or when you try to get them open you break it. But then again R134a may be some kind of lube!

The problem here is that when the person did the conversion, they did the cheap/easy fix, and used an adapter kit that doesn't actually have the valve in it, but rather a stem that pushes down on the old R12 valve. I'd suggest pulling that adapter off, and searching for the proper R134 fitting with the valve built in. Those cheezy ones never seem to work right.

Seems like the only way to fix it is the right way. You can always have the freon vacuumed out and then repaired, and re-filled at a lower cost.

The A/C capacity on these things is nothing compared to a newer car, so it should hurt ya too bad. I think it's somewhere around 20 OZ.

If you do decide to do it yourself, gimme a call when you're ready for the freon and I can cut ya a deal at Autozone.

Got it fixed, the new conversion kit adapter was to long. Could not get the snap adapter on between the steering box and fender. So took the Schrader valve out of the new one and replaced the original one that dissapeared. Many wrench flips later, All is well and hitch girl no longer has to sweat!