Suzuki G13b swap

blats

This morning has been great. A couple weeks ago the wind blew the flap back on my storage tent and the front quarter of my '71 sedan peeked out from inside. I have not worked on my cars in a couple of years, had another kid, got a promotion, blah blah - standard stuff. Seeing the sedan out there got me thinking, and I walked out there and sat in the driver's seat today. The datsun smell.. I'm bit by the bug again.

So, here's the deal. I had a swap idea YEARS ago, probably 7-8 years ago by now. I went out looking for a modern engine with DOHC design that was the right size and weight for the 1200, what I found was jack and sh1t because RWD small cheap simple cars vanished in the '80's. Eventually I found this. Suzuki engine, all aluminum, forged all through from the factory, DOHC, 8000 redline. They came in the Swift GTi here in the US, I've driven one and it revvs for EVER with a wide wide power band. Unfortunately its a FWD engine, BUT - its based on the G13 block which every little Suzuki around had. This includes the SOHC engine in the Samurai, which is a RWD/4WD.

Long story short - it works. The Samurai 5 speed bolts to the G13b, pilot bearing fits, everything works. Over the years I have collected:

• Rebuilt complete G13b from '89 Swift GTi (the good year)
  • Rebuilt 5 speed from Samurai
  • Clutch, fork, etc.. for Samurai
  • Fresh starter and flywheel for Samurai
  • Tailshaft for Samurai (bolted to to transfer case on 4wd)
  • Swift ECU and harness
  • Engine mounts for Samurai
  • NOS 1200 driveline
  • H150 B210 rear end with <18k miles
  • Clean straight '71 Sedan

The problem is that the engine is still on blocks, tranny sitting under the bench, starter in its box, car in a tent in the back yard, garage overflowing with sh1t. I need someone to tell me how sick this swap would be and how much of a travesty it is that I am sitting on all this stuff without working on it for all these years.

https://plus.google.com/photos/103252963869470055629/albums/5635568608498484273

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a fun little project. What is the displacement of the Swift motor? Or more importantly, what kind of power did it make in stock Swift form?

Just curious, kinda justifies the worthiness of a swap when it makes the power numbers that you want. Not really another reason to do a swap like that.

Ohh, add a turbo too. :blink: