Looking for a 5sp Dogleg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not put a 5 speed in a 510, but I have put a 5 speed in my 521.

It was not that difficult to put a long shaft Z-car five speed in the 521, and it still has the bench seat. Obviously, there might be a difference in putting a long shaft 5 speed in the 510, but do a little research, you might have more options than you think.

All you are really saving with a dogleg install is having to shorten the driveshaft, well you don't need to cut the hole for the shifter either but that's very minor. You still have to mod the rear mount. Shortening the driveshaft for a longer tail 5 speed from a 620 truck or 280zx/Maxima is a one time expense. The driveshaft will need to be shortened to 37 3/8" and balanced but once done you will have the choice of thousands of stronger 5 speeds. At least three different gear ratio sets and several over drive ratios and the FS5W71B was used with the 280z/zx non turbo L28 motor so can handle about 50% more power than your 510's L20B engine and about twice what the L16 makes. The shifter hole must be moved back a few inches but this is really nothing to do. The speedometer cable has to be re-routed over the top of the 5 speed to the other side but I did this on my 710 which has the same 4 speed as the 510 and it fits and works just fine.

don't if this will work for you, but I have this 5 spd tranny that supposedly came out of a 720. It comes with the shifter,and if wanted a good used clutch and pressure plate. I know nothing about it but would love to get it out of the garage. It won't let me post pics so if you want some I can email them.

There is a sticker on the tranny that has the #7328125. Don't know what that's for.

$125 for all + shipping from Glendale, Az 85308

wish I could give you more info but I don't know what year it came from. It came with a 1978 510 that I bought.

You had better post a picture of it. The later HL510 DID come with a dogleg 5 speed option. You never know???

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.