fuel gauge problems

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what is not working right? showing empty or full or what? you can try using resistors to check the circuit without pulling the sender so you know if the gauge is working right (as in, pull the wires off the sending unit, hook a 45 ohm resistor to it and see if you get the gauge to show half full).

A $10 gauge does sound a little cheap, and that may be the problem, but if you have an ohm meter you can check your sending unit, and a few cent resistor could answer if the gauge is working properly.

Stock is 10 full and 80 empty.

Just ground the wire at the tank sender and it, (the gauge) should read full, disconnect should read empty.

i have a fuel cell, sening unit in it is 0-90 not 10-80. i bought a 0-90 gauge and what it does is jump from full to empty repeatedly. idk wth is wrong with it.

Loose wire. Make sure you have a good ground strap from tank to body. One side of the tank sender should go to ground also.

As to the 10ohm differences the gauge may stay near full slightly longer before starting to drop. Half full will be the same and it may read empty longer before running out.

I would definitely agree with Mike on this. Check all your connections. Check your grounds. Eliminate this variable first.

But I am also thinking to myself why is the connection bouncing? Are you driving or running the engine while this is occurring? Could still just be a loose connection, but it also could be something else.

no like as soon as i turn the key to the on position it goes crazy.
Well, again reverify all the wiring. Make sure you connections, especially ground, are secure and clean. Although it may not yield much info, it would be cool to see which model of fuel tank and guage you have. The instuctions or wiring diagram would be good.

Do you have a multimeter?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, again reverify all the wiring. Make sure you connections, especially ground, are secure and clean. Although it may not yield much info, it would be cool to see which model of fuel tank and guage you have. The instuctions or wiring diagram would be good.

Do you have a multimeter?

yeah