521 l13 to l16 engine swap

phegerle

Just bought a 69 521 with the l13 motor. Motor has low compression so considering swapping it with a l16 motor that I found locally. Does the l16 mate with the original tranny or do I need to replace that as well? What other problems might I run into with this swap? Thanks

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just bought a 69 521 with the l13 motor. Motor has low compression so considering swapping it with a l16 motor that I found locally. Does the l16 mate with the original tranny or do I need to replace that as well? What other problems might I run into with this swap? Thanks

Are you sure you have a L13 engine? The 1969 datsun 521 came with a J13 engine, it totally differant than the L blocks, differant motor mounts, differant radiator mounted in differant location, and a differant transmission.

Are you sure you have a L13 engine? The 1969 datsun 521 came with a J13 engine, it totally differant than the L blocks, differant motor mounts, differant radiator mounted in differant location, and a differant transmission.

New to this. Apparently, I have a j13 engine, which I'm finding out, are hard to find. Just looking to get the truck up and running for the least amount of money. Sounds like the l - series swap might be a bit complicated. Any suggestions? Seen some info about a possible swap with the MGB 1800?

Thanks,

Peter

Hi there Peter, If the J13 will run then that is your best/economical route, I don't beleave the MGB 1800 is that easy to find either, everybody wants them in the MGB community. The L block would be the most economical conversion, but if your going that route there are a lot better engines to choose from that you would likely be happier with even though it will cost more, one would be the KA. There are LZ conversions that basicly are L blocks, but it starts getting complicated when you start mixing differant engines together to make a hybrid. For now I would try to get the J13 running till you understand your options. I hope this post helps you in some way. wayno

<br />Just bought a 69 521 with the l13 motor. Motor has low compression so considering swapping it with a l16 motor that I found locally. Does the l16 mate with the original tranny or do I need to replace that as well? What other problems might I run into with this swap? Thanks<br />

WTF? You already have a post on this.

http://community.rat...__1#entry497929