no running lights and tail lights

Yes, I had my cig lighter wire come off one day and it grounded out on the dash and the harness smoked and fried up. Well, after replacing the harness the park and tail fuse keeps blowing. I'm not receiving any lights on running,stop,or front turn lights. Plus a wire seemed to melt down just before theignition switch. Does the headlight switch also control the running light and front turn lights? I'm ordsering a new fuse box and am going to replace all fuses to make sure all is good there. What should I be looking at?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I had my cig lighter wire come off one day and it grounded out on the dash and the harness smoked and fried up.

The cig lighter is fused so it shouldn't melt the wiring. Maybe it was something else that caused it.

Well, after replacing the harness the park and tail fuse keeps blowing. I'm not receiving any lights on running,stop,or front turn lights.

Well the new harness may be damaged but assuming it is good, you can disconnect the 10 pin connector under the pass seat on the floor. This will remove the rear harness to the tail lights. If the problem is fixed then the problem is in the rear harness. Likewise you can unplug the engine room harness up under the dash behind the glove box. This will isolate the front parking/headlights. If the problem is fixed then tthe problem is in the front harness.

Plus a wire seemed to melt down just before theignition switch. Does the headlight switch also control the running light and front turn lights? I'm ordsering a new fuse box and am going to replace all fuses to make sure all is good there. What should I be looking at?

Rather vague... what wire? Color code?

Yes the dash, tail, clearance and license lights are turned on by the headlight switch

Sounds like your fusible link under the hood may have been bypassed. This link is supposed to prevent the harnesses from burning up. The fuses are supposed to protect individual circuits, but a previous owner may have modified the wiring.

Question: Does the headlight switch also control the running light and front turn lights?

Answer: The headlight switch controls the running lights, but not the turn signal lights.

Yea, thanks guys, I'm going to be installing the new bezel hopefully this weekend and will be installing a new light switch also. Upon doing this and after installing the new fuses, I will turn on light switch and see what happens okay? If the same thing happens and I can't get the front clearance lights working or the side marker or tail lights I will start isolating. I better head to Napa and stock up on fuses. Can some of you guys give me #s I can call for advise while doing this? Just in the case of having questions? If not we can still thread here. Thanks to everyone!! I'll let ytou all know how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay guys everything is installed and I'm gonna be putting the power to the dash and see what happens. Damn I hope it all goes well. Its been 8 months since I've driven my 620. I'm gonna give it a quick test before I put the bezel back in. Let you all know how it goes.