smoking wire

so awhile ago i did a chop to and abunch of other work to my 76 620 and i when i hooked all the wires back up and put a jumper box to it it started to smoke from the fusible link on the hot wire that goes to the fuse box. it only smokes right there and i have no idea why can any one help me with this i refuse to take it to a shop and im running out of time. has anyone encountered this problem before? any input is greatly appreciated i just dont know what to do ive put to much time and effort into this little thing to give up now

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, I've seen that. One of the wires is probably shorte.d It won't smoke where the short is, but at the the design point of the fusible link. And maybe at the fuse box if the fuse or the terminal is slight corroded. Any chance that you got a wire caught against the metal where you did the chop?

i pulled the wires to the dome light and the dome light its self out when i did the chop those are the only wires that were running thru the front window pillars ive unwrapped the whole loom at this point and have checked for shorts on every inch of the wires if one of the relays in the dash was hooked up in the wrong spot could it cause it to happen? every fuse in the truck is new including the fusible link. i will check for corrosion on the box its self