Z31 Rear Brake Interchangeability

jeffball610

I put myself into a corner here. I went out a long time ago and got a Z31 rear end section and put it into my 510 crossmember. R200, CVs (not measured yet), 5-lug rear hubs, and calipers. It seems the Z31 Turbo and non-turbo do not share the same caliper, or at least the same caliper mounting bracket. The Turbo rear disks are huge vented units that standard Nissan caliper brackets do not seem to clear.

So here is my question, are there any other vehicles that I can steal some rear calipers from? I found a J30 today that has vented rear rotors, but the calipers and pads seem completely different. I found a Q45, but it doesn't seem to have vented rear rotors. I'll check to see how much parts store rebuilt calipers are, but they're usually out of Ratsun price range. My next option is to just get non turbo rear rotors to replace the Turbo rotors I already have. (bought as a package deal with front rotors) Let me know if anyone has any solutions for this.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My info shows VG30 and VG30T calipers the same. As are the pads and rebuild kits. There are some differences from year to year but whatever is listed for the VG30 is also listed for the VG30T. (for that year).

You could try researching the Maxima rear calipers. In the past the 280zx shared the same platform as the Maxima. In '85 they went to FWD but the rear calipers might be close still.

I thought all 5-lug rotor/calipers were the same as well. Turns out, I'm wrong. Unless I'm looking in the wrong place. I already ordered some NA rotors cause RockAuto had a screaming deal at $9 each. We'll see if they are non-vented and if there's a difference.

I do have one caliper bracket in my mess that fits around the rotor with some spacing from the bracket. But somehow I've only got one in the 4 sets of calipers I have. As soon as I get this straightened out, I'm selling off my stock of calipers as well.

I received my rear rotors for the non-turbo 5-lug Z31. It seems to be the same as the Turbo rotors I have. That leads me to believe that they are the same. Which confuses me. I thought I got the calipers from a 5-lug car. Guess I'll keep searching. Has anyone thought of another Nissan (or other car) that shares the same caliper brackets as the 87-89 Z31?

• 4 weeks later...

I believe I found the answer. The 1986 Z31 came with 5-lug hubs, but has non vented rear disks. This leads me to believe that this is the car I pulled my parts from. I will do some more investigating, but this should solve my issues. My options now are to wait to find some 87+ rear calipers, or just order some 86 rotors.

'84 and '85 NA cars came 4 lug

'84 and '85 Turbo cars came 5 lug (same rotor diameter as the 4 lug though)

'86 and on were ALL 5 lug (same diameter as all previous)

'87-'89 were ALL vented rotors, same diameter as well

so basically you have '84-'85 Turbo or '86 NA OR Turbo rear rotors.