Five speed swap

Just Joel

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any 4 or 5 speed 620, 280z or zx non turbo, 5 speed '80-'83 S110 (200sx), 4 or 5 speed 810/Maxinma gas or diesel, '80-'82 720 gas or diesel (maybe later ones)

I swappes an FS5W71B into my 710 and used the short 4 speed cable. Had to move it from the driver's side to the pass side and it still reached, so the 610 should also, as well as the A10 4 and optional 5 speeds and the S10 doglegs.

Long 4 ans 5 speeds are best.

Alright, two more questions...

I measured my stock cable at sixty two inches but rock auto lists theirs at seventy for the 510 app. Is this the length for the auto and is that long enough the reach at only eight inches longer?

Also, rock auto had both an upper cable and a lower cable listed for the zx. Do I need both parts or just the lower?

Thanks

Joel

The 510 4 speed had the speedo on the driver's side which is the shortest distance to the dash gauge. I believe the autos are all on the pass side and although both trannys are similar in length the automatics would likely be slightly longer.

Now..... On my 710, the 4 speed is basically the same length and type as the 510. I swapped in a zx 5 speed and simply routed the cable down the pass side of the tranny to the pinion. It fit without kinking it and has been to Canby no problems. The zx 5 speed pinion is only about 2" further back. That's nothing.

Also, rock auto had both an upper cable and a lower cable listed for the zx. Do I need both parts or just the lower?

Don't know about upper and lower but the zx did have 4 possible transmissions. The 4 and 5 speed standards, the three speed automatic and the T-5 BW 5 speed for use on the turbo equipped L28. The 4 and 5 speed would be the same length and likely the same as the automatic. The BW T-5 is a wild card and likely different.