'78 620

slayer

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

O.K. You are standing in front of the truck with the hood open. Do you see the top radiator hose coming from the radiator to the top of the engine? That goes to the thermostat housing. Rite underneath that is the temp. sending unit. There should b a wire going to a prong that comes out of the thermostat housing and "BING" there it is.:D

it's not moving at all.... well thats not ture you know how the guage will sit on the peg auntil you give it power? then it pops up to about cold.... it does that but nothing else.. and i had no heat. i was worried at first but after reading a post on here about our heaters.. i ripped it all apart this morning the valve was very stuck and there was nasty stuff in the heater core so i pulled it all out and fluched it and lubed the valve removed the pine needles from the top of the care and now i have heat. but the guage still does not move.

so i bought a new sending unit and a thermostat and going to change those out tomorrow.

sounds like your thermostat is stuck as well. Cheap enough peace of mind, go ahead and change it

Kiznook is right. If your truck isn't warming up in just a few minutes, then your thermostat may be stuck in the open position. It's an easy change out, but just observe how it is setting in the thermostat well when you take the old one out. I recently done a intake/exhaust gasket job on my '78 and when I went back together with everything, I put the new thermostat in upside down. Luckily for me, it did not block the flow but after a couple of weeks, I noticed it was taking a long time for the truck to warm up. I kept the old thermostat and it had an arrow pointing to the radiator, indidcating how it was supposed to sit in the well. When I checked out the new thermostat, I had it in wrong (the new one did not have a direction indicated on it). I just put the old one back in (in the right direction) and it's working fine.

the spring goes on the bottom. Just gotta think about how it opens, and what direction the coolant flows.

I forgot to say before, the nasty heater core will cause it to heat poorly, but would have no effect on warm-up, if anything it would cause it to run hotter, faster. Where as the stuck thermostat will keep it from warming up AT ALL. And this would result in the gauge not reading, and the heater not getting warm.

I just went through this in the fall with my Hardbody. First I noticed the gauge reading low, then no heat. Changed the thermostat, all good. And don't expect it to necessarily be visibly "stuck open" JUST REPLACE IT!! 2 or 3 bolts and a few minutes time. You won't even spill that much coolant since it's high in the system