What happend?

So I installed some round turn signals on my 720 last night. I didn't do much splicing, didn't have too. I used 14g wire and was pretty much able to just plug right into the outlet for the turn signals. Did it last night, and everything has worked amazing so far.

Until I was on the ferry on my way to work, and suddenly my turn signals don't work and my fuel gauge went out. I've checked all the obvious fuse, loose wires, ungrounded, and I can't find it.

I know it's wiring and shit happens, and it's not easy to tell what went wrong, but if you guys could give me an idea on what would have killed my turn signals and my fuel gauge. I know it isn't the hazard switch, and that wouldn't kill my fuel gague.

My hazards still activate my turn signals.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your truck is over 30 years old. I do not know where exactly Illahee, WA is, but if it is on the west sides of the Cascade Mountains, there is a pretty good chance one or more of the electrical connections may have some corrosion in them. This can cause all sorts of electrical problems, and they can appear even when you do something completely unrelated.

I'm aware that there is some sort of electrical problem because its old, I'm just hoping to get pointed in the direction in which the turn signals and fuel gauge would cross paths. Its only those two things that went out. I can't seem to find where they meet up ever.

Rule #1 Replace all fuses when you buy a car with tube fuses

Rule #2 Vinegar bath the fusebox till its clean looking, then rinse thoroughly with hot water.

Fixes a LOT of mystery problems...

Rule #1 Replace all fuses when you buy a car with tube fuses

Rule #2 Vinegar bath the fusebox till its clean looking, then rinse thoroughly with hot water.

Fixes a LOT of mystery problems...

lol. 1980 720 comes with blade fuses. The fuse box's isn't really removable like the 510s. Can probably be done, but to much of a hassle. I just use a light mist of wd40, never have any problems...

Yeah I wanted to replace the fusebox when I got the truck, but it was going to be more of a hassle than its immediate worth. I picked up some wd40 last night and I'm going to spray down a lot of my truck. I've got a lot of things I'm kneedeep in right now too. I will make a build thread soon and post some oic's.

But I've replaced a ton of wiring already, and when I got a new dash I resoldered a lot too.

Soon here I'm going to have to tackle installing a cd player :S