Vin location

kwoo510

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hahaa, there is no VIN. There is a chassis ID number, it was originally on an aluminum plate, in the engine compartment on the firewall.

Somewhere there should also be the same number stamped into the body sheetmetal.

true VINs came along later in the 1970s. My 72 still doesn't have a VIN.

• 10 months later...

Yes, you are right, there is a vehicle identification number. It's not a standardized VIN though. The Datsun IDs were just a number to identify the Nissan vehicle, is it mostly sequential, but in a series of ranges only known to Nissan. It doesn't identify the model, plant, year or other data like modern VINs do.

da, are you saying that on a 320, the body number and chassis number don't necessarily match?

Here's the problem. I'm trying to register the car. It has no history on file and I know they are going to want to see a stamped number on the frame. I don't know what will happen if I can't find one, but I think it will be a red tape situation. The one on the metal plate is good, but the frame stamp I can not find. Is it possible it is under the bed. I think I remember seeing one when I was painting the frame, but I really don't want to remove it again.

I would think you could call the DMV and they might be able to direct you as to where it can be found(well it is a govt agency but worth a try) I know some folks that have gone through a VIN inspection class and they show them where to find VIN and chasis #'s.

My 2cents worth

I asked this same question about a 320 back in the day. I heard the frame vin should be on top of the passenger frame rail just behind where it arches for the wheel. But I can't verify it as I never bought the 320 I was looking at. It is a place to check though!

Just thought of this.....Try on the firewall left and right, frame all the way around the engine compartment, and around the drivers door.

I mean hey, its Saturday right? Good excuse to drink a few cold ones in the garage.

So now my mind wakes up......I have Micro Fiche on this ride. They show the one on the firewall and show one on the "dash cowl panel", and in the picture it looks lower than the one that is top center on the firewall. Maybe inside the cab?? (dosen't make much sense to me but.......).

Now I'm up to 4 cents worth....ha ha

Good luck

After some time of searching the truck, It turned out to be exactly where it was said to be. Passenger side frame behind the shock. Note however that it is not a stamped like those on US autos. It is very lightly stamped. So a coat of paint will cover it up easily. It seems that a 100 grit sandpaper was almost taking it off so be careful. Well that is it. On the 65 L320 the Id is on the passenger frame behind the shock. Thanks.:D