Clutch Slave and Master

OniZ

I have a friend that just got a 66 411 wagon and his clutch and all is leaking he doesn't know where to get a new one and sadly neither do I. I was thinking Autozone/Kragen, or Tops, does anyone have any suggestions? My Z doesn't go that far back and I know I can go to MSA if I have too. Any help would be appreciated, thanks all.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a rebuild kit for a '66 411 at Schuck's. The old 411 has a rather short slave push-rod so over the years the piston wears down one side until it is in the bore so angled that the cup blows. Mine worked fine until one morning when I went to start it and when I pushed the clutch pedal it dropped to the floor. Left a puddle right under the clutch slave making the problem obvious.

Yes but the 510 one is metric! The threads are 10mm with a 1mm pitch. The 411 flex hose thread is 3/8 inch with 24 threads per inch. It will screw into the slightly larger thread of the 510 cylinder, but is likely to strip and/or loosen itself. It would work if you have a custom flex hose made up with a metric thread. If you need a new flex hose you are pretty much going to end up getting one custom made at a local hydraulic show anyway.

• 1 month later...

Yes but the 510 one is metric! The threads are 10mm with a 1mm pitch. The 411 flex hose thread is 3/8 inch with 24 threads per inch. It will screw into the slightly larger thread of the 510 cylinder, but is likely to strip and/or loosen itself. It would work if you have a custom flex hose made up with a metric thread. If you need a new flex hose you are pretty much going to end up getting one custom made at a local hydraulic show anyway.

Yeah, what Paul said. It may appear to work, but do you really want to gamble your life and/or someone else's?

A custom hose is cleaner, but they do make SAE<-->metric adapters. Couple bucks at Napa. That's what I'm using for my disc brake conversion on the SAE brake lines to my metric (280ZX) brake master cylinder.

Edited by ppeters914

Gamble your life away? It's the clutch, not the brakes :o

Oops.... OTOH, if you're one of those people who stop with the clutch in, and, say, the clutch lets go because that SAE hose fitting decides it's time to vacate that metric hole, and you're at an intersection, and the released clutch throws you into traffic....or a train...YEAH! Like you're waiting at the train crossing, and...... :frantics:

i used a entire 510 setup on my 411. master, flex hose and slave. the only thing now from a 510 is the hard line which is a factory 411 line and it threads in and tightens properly. idk if they really are 2 different threads but mine works great!

• 5 months later...