where to connect for keyed on only

Hey guys, I am puttin in a couple electic fans using a spal fan controller as well as a couple gauges into my 69 dime. the wiring diagram for both calls for a few wires to be hooked up to keyed on only and was wondering where the best place to tap/splice a wire into is. this is on a L16 so everything is still original wiring. Both of the manuals I have for the dime don't seem to show anything. The wire colors and best location to connect them would be greatly appreciated!!!

THANKS!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the fuses in the fuse box get power when the key is on. Use one of these to power the coil of a relay that switches the fan power.

The actual power for the electric fan cannot go through the stock 510 fuse box. You will overload it.

I thought about this more.

If you have a aircond power wire out from the fuse box. I would make a relay rack of 3. and you use the A/C wire to turn them on.

Just daisy chain the power to the relays and you could use them for other stuff also. Of coarse you only need one. but you could use the others for a AMP or exttra lighting ,whatever. just hook all these relays up to a main juntion source. Like the batt terminal at the starter.

I thought about this more.

If you have a aircond power wire out from the fuse box. I would make a relay rack of 3. and you use the A/C wire to turn them on.

Just daisy chain the power to the relays and you could use them for other stuff also. Of coarse you only need one. but you could use the others for a AMP or exttra lighting ,whatever. just hook all these relays up to a main juntion source. Like the batt terminal at the starter.

sweet! that is exactly what I was looking for! THANKS HAINZ!!!! I didn't want to run anything through the stock fuse box as it's really just for the basic's and like prev mentioned...would overload it. I was hoping there was a way to do exactly what you mentioned for more add ons!

THANKS for the reply's! it's all going in today!

IM Sure the air cond wire will be fine.

On my yellowcar the PO used it to power the eleltric fuel pump.

I was wondering if you just scam a relay box from a newer car(junkyard) that uses the even smaller box relays. and daisy chain the power to gether or maybe soembody makes just a multiple relay power set up.

The electric Fans I assume are not powered all the time once you get going I bet they shut off.

You could even use Jeffs wiring in the HOW TO section) as a general guideline on how to do it. Just you dont need the fancy stuff , but have at least a fuse in the circut. Just that YOU would use the air cond wire to power all the relays at once pins 85 then all the 86s will be Jumpered to grnd.

PS I know my cars have a blue A/C wire wrappep up under the fuse box