Im tired of crimp in u-joints!

So.... Most all of the datto drive shafts ive encountered have had crimp in universal joints, HOW CAN I CALL IT A UNIVERSAL JOINT IF I HAVE TO CRIMP IT IN? P us i cant find a crimper has any one milled a groove for a snap ring? Or had a shaft modified? Are there other options im over looking? Im rockin a b210 5 speed so i cant just get a yoke from a newer car and have a shaft made, theirs got to be a salution

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some driveline shops can do it, while others won't. Or you might be able to get one made up. $$

yeah im shure they would, but wich method works out best, how much are they going to want/sounds resonable, they would press in and crimp new ones for 75 bucks, andx id probly die before i would have to change them, but it just sucks

They're called universal joints because they allow the driveshaft to change angle and still rotate, not because they're "Universally Replaceable". It's a design/cost decision. Nissan expected the U-joints to last the life of the car. They also expected the life of the car to be less than 15 years. Not over 30. Replaceable U-joints with circlips cost more to make and because there's extra slop, wear out faster. It's no different than welded-on door and hood hinges, both issues I've had to deal with and the resulting torn sheet metal when they sieze up. Newer cars are far worse, right down to the hermetically sealed automatic transmissions in some cars.

scoff, i know already but thanks for explaning it. My question was: has anyone modified a driveline for a snap ring style, or maybe another type that i dont even know of, and how did they go about it.

Ive replaced them in the past, and had to file out the crimp and rent the right crimper, but that sucks. So thank you greatly, i was joking about the name "universal" thing, i know for shure what one is and why what where nissan did and is doing it that way. Just another failed effort of wit. Almost all auto makers have done that and or still use crimped or even brazed in joints, AND I SAY BOOOOOO

Thanks, i just found that thread and it helped alot, one question, several people sited several diff joints, ah screw it ill get it out and use the ol noodle, thanks