AE86 struts + B110/210/310

The counterperson at the junkyard started talking to me about my car yesterday. He said Corolla struts would bolt in. Now, I know the control arm is too different, and I know the "bolt pattern" on the steering knuckle is different. The only thing I didn't check out is the size/taper of the balljoint. Does anyone know what he's talking about?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't find any pictures handy, though I've seen them before.

TRD struts (dunno if they are from AE86 or not) are standard 2" struts (50.8mm) same as B210 & B310 and nearly every Datsun/Nissan except B110 which are smaller. The knuckle of the B110 is smaller too, so people switch over to B310 control arms, knuckles, linkage etc. when swapping 2" struts. Whether they be S13, 280ZX or aftermarket.

But with Mike Klotz bolt-on big brakes for B110, all you need now is a short extended strut insert like the VW inserts. Why move to the heavy 2" struts when you can keep the light 45mm stock B110 units?

Crap, I'm sorry if I made you guys do extra math. My car currently has 210 struts with MR2 inserts, so I'm good. I'm not going to do this, I'm just curious what this dude was talking about. It was more of a "well I heard blah blah blah" type conversation.

Why move to the heavy 2" struts when you can keep the light 45mm stock B110 units?

Because it's easier to find inserts? And the 1200 bearings are so tiny? :P

Upgrading to B310 stuff really isn't much of a weight penalty, if at all. But you get the above mentioned benefits. ;)

Yeah, that's why I decided to stick with these struts. I have both AE86 and 280ZX struts in my junk pile... I really thought the AE86 ones would be about perfect, but like you said datsunfreak, not worth it. That's the reason for this topic, I started to think it was easier than I know.