A12 CYLINDER HEAD/H72

I HAVE SEEN A DATSUN B210 GX MODEL IN SOME GUYS HOUSE, IT STILL HAS THE CYLINDER HEAD ON IT. THOUGHT I COULD USE IT AS BACK UP. WHAT SHOULD I DO. THE GUY WANTS 150. IS THAT A GOOD PRICE?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

lol, sorry, i'm loaded already. i mean't to say the backyard. the head looks good, i pulled the valve cover off it. and i think 150 is a little much, i bought one at a machine shop for 110 with new valves and seal 5 years ago.

H72 should have oval ports, if its in running condition with low miles maybe 75$

also wondering why a b210 has an a12

in it.

would i need the intake an exhaust manifolds, or will my stock ones work from my A12. i may have been mistaken about the engine being an A12, could it be an A14?

what about an A15 head?, its off a b210 wagon.

A15 is only 210 motor IIRC? But it would most likely be an H85(I think thats the model)

A series heads are cheap. Nothing special really. I wouldn't pay over $75 for on in running condition unless it's made out of gold.

ALRIGHT GUYS, THANKS FOR THE FEED BACK. I AM NOW JUST GETTING INTO THE MECHANIC'S OF THESE CARS, USUALLY MY BEST FRIEND AND FELLOW DATSUN LOVER DOES IT FOR ME. I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO RESEARCH AND READ ALL I CAN, I HAVE RECENTLY REACHED OUT HERE FOR HELP AND HAVE BEEN REALLY IMPRESSED WITH ALL OF THE RESPONSE AND COMMENTS. THIS SITE HAS BEEN MY BEST FRIEND NOW, LOL. THANKS FREDDY

A15 heads are not unique, there is no A15 head that wasn't used on a factory A14. The last of the A14/A15 heads are good ones, but not suitable for porting.

H72 is the worst head, it is an A14 head for emissions control with open chambers and air passages in the exhaust ports. It won't fit an A12, or rather it will bolt on but the oil passages do not match.

$150 is too much for any head except for Datsun Competition or A12 GX head. B210 GX doesn't have a special head.

A15 heads are not unique, there is no A15 head that wasn't used on a factory A14. The last of the A14/A15 heads are good ones, but not suitable for porting.

H72 is the worst head, it is an A14 head for emissions control with open chambers and air passages in the exhaust ports. It won't fit an A12, or rather it will bolt on but the oil passages do not match.

$150 is too much for any head except for Datsun Competition or A12 GX head. B210 GX doesn't have a special head.

how do i know what to look for in an A12 GX head?

> youd want to resurface before you reinstall it anyways. assuming its not going on an a12

You don't need to resurface an A-series head 99% of the time they are OK. A14 and A12 heads use Combustion chambers CC the same size, the Compresssion Ratio is primarly controlled by the piston dish.

A12 GX heads are very rare, never sold in USA, and have monster pprts, much bigger thna A14/A15 ports.

• 2 years later...

hey fellas wondering if anyone knows anything about how to start upgrading my A12 i have a friend that can get me webber carbs mikuni or dellorto i just have to tell hime what kind of setup i would like and all that and get discount "supposetly" .. i just actually am not sure about what to look for or where to start anyone have any advice? i mean i have seen the setups and they sound and run awsome from what little i have heard just wondering if its worth it also does CA allow you to run these? all apologies if i sound like a newb but i am.

Yes, a CA20 or CA18 can be fitted with carburetors.

A12 is a small engine with 69 HP. With twin carbs, longer duration camshaft and larger cylinder head it can make 80 HP.

CA20 starts at 105 HP completely stock.

CA18DE starts at 131 HP completely stock, because it has a 16-valve head.

Yeah some guy asked about the Nissan CA engine

Five years ago good CA18DET was $1350 complete and ready to run with turbo, wiring harness, computer and 5-speed. It would cost three times that to build an A-series to 125 HP.

does CA allow you to run these? all apologies if i sound like a newb but i am.

• Like 1

thaks for the help man , i finally got my baby smogged and ready to drive around , although the carborator is on its way out any reccomendations on replacement or figures on rebuilding cost? this lady will need alot of work , you have any idea where to find the weather stripping for the rear window on the hatch ? any sites you would reccommend for parts

Asking about 1980 210 parts? Those don't have A12s, but the newer A12A which is significantly different. Swapping in a good used A15 is a bolt-in, except for the exhaust downpipe. About $400 gains you 25% more cubic inches.

For mechanical parts, your local auto parts store or RockAuto has most everything.

For body parts, keep checking the wrecking yards

For seals check eBay regularly.