Intermittant no spark situation

Rob W.

Wasn't sure where to put this because The problem is the engine but its on an 87 Maxima so here it is.

I bought this 87 Maxima for $100 and I am having a strange problem. Sometimes it will start and run fine and then it sometimes it won't. It will die after starting when you drive it around the block, won't even make it home. The motor feels fine when its running. oh before I forget here's a pic

CIMG0225.jpg

I have determined it is a spark issue not fuel. So replaced the coil and still same problem so I returned it. Checked the crank angle sensor and it's cycling 0-5volts at the right times there is a finned little electrical bit under the coil that feeds power to the coil but it always seems to have 12 volts coming out of it. Any ideas or does anyone know where I can find an engine electrical diagram. The shop manual I have only has the chassis electrical, stupid Haynes. Help please

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe just a lose connection someplace in the system. perhaps sometimes is has just enough of a connection the the engine will run fine but other times the vibration of the engine and road will disrupt the connection causing it to die hence the reason it dies after going around the block..

i would start at checking and cleaning all the connections for the ignition system..