Need a new brake kit or rotor swap.

mrvgs

I have a 70' 521 with a Wilwood disc brake kit on the front brakes. Talking to Wilwood it's a kit they don't make anymore.Is there anyone who makes a kit that I can use to replace the outdated one I currently have? I was able to get the pads and the caliper is still made but they don't make the rotors anymore. Anyone have any ideas of the least expensive way to fix the brake problem? Thanks.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is kind of a crappy way to do business, on Wilwood's part.

I would call them back, and ask what car model the rotor has the same dimensions. If that does not work, switch to brake parts that are still available. If Wilwood wants to sell you another "upgraded" brake kit, tell them no, you do not make parts for the Wilwood kit I have, what assurance do I have I can get parts for the new kit you are trying to sell me?

That is kind of a crappy way to do business, on Wilwood's part.

I would call them back, and ask what car model the rotor has the same dimensions. If that does not work, switch to brake parts that are still available. If Wilwood wants to sell you another "upgraded" brake kit, tell them no, you do not make parts for the Wilwood kit I have, what assurance do I have I can get parts for the new kit you are trying to sell me?

I agree with you. The person I talked to said that the kit was from the 80's. I'm open to having a different brake kit installed. I would just like to get it back on the road.

hard face the rotors and machine them back to specs, presto!!!

Sorry i have no idea what that means. I have never heard of that before. What type of process is that and where would you get that done?

ahh its not the most logical choice, hard facing is a type of welding (various processes) that builds up metal on an otherwise worn metal surface, then the surface would be re machined to the proper spec, this is not a likely application to use for repairing brake rotors, I would honestly suggest a new brake kit, preferable the mike klotz kit, hope you got lots o moneys!!!!

ahh its not the most logical choice, hard facing is a type of welding (various processes) that builds up metal on an otherwise worn metal surface, then the surface would be re machined to the proper spec, this is not a likely application to use for repairing brake rotors, I would honestly suggest a new brake kit, preferable the mike klotz kit, hope you got lots o moneys!!!!

I sent him a pm. Waiting to hear back.