Caleb's '86 720

Hey guys, the names Caleb. I picked this up from a guy in Kennesaw, GA alittle over a month ago.

Before this I had an '01 Frontier crew cab, but it wasn't me so I passed it on to my brother and snagged this up.

I haven't done much to it yet. I've been in electrical hell since I've gotten it, but now I have that all sorted and after a good tune up I can really get started on it.

This will probably be a pretty slow build, but in the end all I'm wanting is a clean daily that I can have fun with.

Eventually plans are to coilover swap the front, welded diff, hydraulic handbrake, and if the leafs don't work out like I'm planning for the rear, then a 4 link with coilovers is in order.

I'm also hoping to pick up a KA from a buddy pretty soon and rebuild it over the summer.

But as of now lower profile tires, a roll pan, toyota front end swap, some interior work, and more low is probably all that will be happening soon.

And on to what everyone wants to see!

2rcpg6x.jpg

apjs0h.jpg

2qtedls.jpg

2j4tsfn.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't seem like anyone is following this, but what the hell.

I slung a rod and project Sexypants began.

2m2j3wi.jpg

2dj6xcl.jpg

Old Z24

2hrmp06.jpg

The new engine is an 96' Ka24de from an S14. I've done all the research and know this is going to be hell and that the truck KA would be much easier.

However, I have more time than I do money and I couldn't pass up $100 for a running KA. So I'll make it work.

a1797p.jpg

This is where the KA came from. It's a friends garage which was destroyed by the recent tornadoes. (there is also a 240 hatch to the left of the coupe under all the debris)

123oaa0.jpg

This all happened on Wednesday. Me and my friend Austin started aroung 7pm and stopped for the night around 4am

Engine and Tranny pulled:

717b52.jpg

98fs7k.jpg

n6ua75.jpg

Ka24de first test fit:

2itq8p4.jpg

For the oil pan, we are going to shorten and straighten the oil pickup and section the pan. This is just a test to see if it would work. It does work and it WILL clear the sway bar.

(Motor mount is broken, that explains the odd angle of the mount)

35162kz.jpg

Here is the engine and tranny bolted in. For motor mounts we used the stock KA mount for the drivers side and the drivers side Z24 mount on the passenger side. It all bolted straight in and no fabricating was necessary.

30kumbp.jpg

The stock tranny will bolt up to the ka24de. It was close, We had to remove two alignment pins and the block has an extra screw that isn't on the tranny, but it will bolt up and work fine. The tranny wasn't set all the way in which is why it's so far forward. The shifter is cut because it got in the way and I wanted to extend it anyway.

29wtyj5.jpg

Mock up of everything before we stopped for the night.

3322c82.jpg

The bay and engine will all be cleaned before final assembly.

Not too bad for one night of work

Here is the oil pickup, it's shortened a good bit and is straight instead of bent.

2lk5y00.jpg

Someone on another forum mentioned that I'm going to have to always keep the pan full and that I might have problems with sucking up air when cornering with the shortened pickup.

However with the shortened pan I won't have any problems with that, It'll be like stock just scaled down (if that makes sense)

The only down side I'm seeing to this is that the oil pan won't be able to hold as much as stock so I'll have to change oil more frequently, also it might be a good idea to run an oil cooler. With the first pan that was built it hung down pretty low to make up for the area that was cut down, but with the new design it shouldn't hang down any lower than stock.

I'll be sure to post up pictures of the new pan and any other major steps.

*Warning, bad picture quality*

So wiring was started last night.

We had all the harnesses from an S14 and every wiring diagram we could find printed off. A couple diagrams really helped and others just made it worse, but after a few hours it got done.

359g6jt.jpg

4khdm8.jpg

25ir9rm.jpg

We had to make an auto parts run and while we were there I decided to get a cheap tach just to get me by.

2lx4ps.jpg

I took apart the stock cluster and dremeled out one of the blank holes on the sides. It fit really well and I love the look. Eventually I want to replace all of them with aftermarket gauges.

nq22yd.jpg

We put the clutch and flywheel into the transmission and bolted it to the engine. Also we started plugging everything in from the main engine harness before dropping it in.

mt4bkg.jpg

The engine is currently in with the trans for the last time and all that needs to happen now is wiring.

No pics of that at the moment. I was getting way too tired and pictures were the last thing on my mind.

Tomorrow Ill try and get some full pics and some of the oil pan that I've ben meaning to get.

Doesn't seem like anyone is following this, but what the hell.

I slung a rod and project Sexypants began.

2m2j3wi.jpg

2dj6xcl.jpg

Old Z24

2hrmp06.jpg

The new engine is an 96' Ka24de from an S14. I've done all the research and know this is going to be hell and that the truck KA would be much easier.

However, I have more time than I do money and I couldn't pass up $100 for a running KA. So I'll make it work.

a1797p.jpg

This is where the KA came from. It's a friends garage which was destroyed by the recent tornadoes. (there is also a 240 hatch to the left of the coupe under all the debris)

123oaa0.jpg

I'm sad for those poor S chassis

So Wednesday I picked up some finishing pieces.

E fan mounted on radiator. One 10" will be fine for now.

14obthl.jpg

I had to get a pathfinder throttle cable since the stock 720 was too short.

Finished building an intake. We chopped an S14 intake to fit.

2yn2xhj.jpg

Also, I spaced my hood. It has nothing to do with engine fitment, I just like the look. All it is is a rubber disk between the hood and latch.

2eelkdy.jpg

1r50r8.jpg

And what everyone wants..

Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJtnY_SQzg4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfq7nV3ifgM

Keep in mind it's open header still, and there is alot to be cleaned and tucked in the bay.