Long rod KA-E

datzenmike

Well I got asked a question from Aaj2k5 about weather an L20B crank would fit into a KA block. By the numbers, rod and main bearing sizes... it should. The L20B has a fully counterweighted crankshaft so it will rev smoother and higher. The KA block has an 89mm bore so this gives an 89 X 86 bore and stroke on a 2114cc engine. None of the Nissan rods will be long enough for this combo also a custom rod may be needed. Anyway, that is up to Aaj2k5 and his plans. So after a week I have decided to find out for him (and me) and post it. (for you) What do you know??? I just happen to have a KA24E crank girdle with the bearing shells still in it. Some searching turned up a good U60 L20B crankshaft. Pitty the fool who has to go through my stuff when I'm gone. :lol: (probably find Jimmy Hoffa under the pile)

L20BcrankinKAE001Large.jpg

Good and not so good news... The crank fits the main bearing girdle just fine. I had some rust preventing spray on it and it spins beautifully in it's new home. The bad is that the KA uses a much narrower main bearing so the thrust bearing is narrower also. because of this the crank is free to slide forward and back maybe 1/4" or so.

Crank pushed forward...

L20BcrankinKAE003Large.jpg

Crank pushed to the back...

L20BcrankinKAE004Large2.jpg

Here's the problem...

L20BcrankinKAE002Large2.jpg

Which brings up a good point about the L series motors. (and the Z series too) The KA runs about 150 horse to the L's 90 ish Yet the L uses these monster bearings. I think this is pretty good proof that the L was over engineered and no wonder that the bottom end is considered 'bullet proof".

Just for the fun I include the KA-E crank in it's cradle.

KA24Eblock016Large.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

he could prob go z22 bottom end with a z20 crank or l20 and bore it out to 89mm and put a ka head on the z22 block???

Yes but the KA is 2cm taller so a custom monster long rod can be used. The idea is to run an extra long rod.

so you have a detailed oic of the trust bearing with the L20b crank in the girdle? like what you did with the front bearing...

No I didn't take a picture of that.