I'm not finding engine kits, what about tranny kits?

I've started saving up to get my 86.5 hardbody done....being I got it back about 2 weeks ago. It's got the Z24I TBI. The engine I'm freshening up is a shortblock out of a 84-85 720 carb.I've been looking around for a good name brand engine kit that would have the basics that I want like front & back crank seals (main seals), bearings, timing set, piston rings etc etc etc, but thats not going to happen so I have to buy different kits to make a kit for the z24.

I've figured out the 1st half, I'm starting to think about the 2nd half, the transmission. The transmission in the hardbody is a L4N71B if I'm not mistakeing, & I have a steering column shifter. A friend thats a Mazda RX-7 fanatic said that Red Alto made a decent kit for the L4N71B, supposedly that same transmission also came in the RX-7. I'm curious if anyone else has used them & are they decent? are there better brandnames that use better materials in their kits?

I'm wanting to rebuild the transmission that came in the hardbody which is L4N71B BUT I still have the transmssion (unsure of serial number) that came out of the 720 which is an automatic 2wd as well, so I'm thinking (because it SEEMS easier lol) that since the 720 short block is out of the truck as well as the tranny, that maybe I could rebuild that tranny instead so I could bolt both engine & tranny together after rebuilding both & bolt that into truck as a whole after I remove the old shortblock (puting head & intake on 720 shortblock) & tranny from truck!

I've been racking my brain trying to find some where to work on my truck but nothing is for certain yet since I no longer work @ the bodyshop.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't fix what's not broken. The auto fluid is good for about 100K miles but I would change it more often. If you don't know when it was changed last you should change the fluid and the filter and that will cost about $50. Same with the engine if running well. Have a tune up done and change the oil/filter and coolant and the fuel filter.

The JATCO transmission company, is (or was) co owned by Nissan, Mazda and maybe Toyota so it's understandable that the same trannys were used on different makers.

The engine thats in that truck I got running really well months ago but its got its noises & they get worse with changes in engine temp & regular uses, & the rear seal is leaking.....well pouring is more like it & its just tired but NOT smoking...that I've noticed atleast so thats a good thing lol. I wanna get the other engine cleaned up & sealed really well & stuck in it while the truck is not needed at the moment because this will be the only time I will have for any major work to it for a long while.

After I get it done I'll have school right after & then I will have to find another job out of town, and I'll be going out of town frequently for doctors appointments & other stuff that I'll have on my plate soon enough. I've been planning to get the engine done for a long time now but do to certain current events & changing jobs.....it's now a time crunch to get everything done as soon as possible. BTW I've changed oil & filter, fuel filter, NGK plugs & wires, new cap & rotor & k&N air filter months ago.

I think its the original tranny so a fluid & filter change is in order as well because the last owner said that the original engine & tranny had over 250K on it when he got the truck about 6 or 7 years ago (he never said anything about fluid & filter changes except once @ the dealership). The engine had been changed a few times and even the speedo had been changed @ least once when he had it, & I changed it once when I 1st got it so original mileage is not known.

Last owner estimated that his father put 30k miles on before he died. I guess I'm just scared that if I don't get most important stuff done now & something major fails then I would have to sell the truck because I'm not going to have any where to work on it or the money to pay anyone to fix it. As always I appreciate the advice, Im still going to spiff up the other engine but I may leave the tranny alone except for fluid & filter.

I wish 1 of you lived close to me so I could bribe 1 of you to let me use your garage for a little while lol.