Need 521 Swap FACTS

68Datsun510

Forgive me if i missed a post somewhere, but ive been searching for a guide or at least some info regarding the steps required and the difficulty of swapping out a J13 for an L series.

Ive read thru a lot of peoples builds, but none that i found had a 521/J13, it was all earlier models.

So, to swap in an L series, obviously, you need to remove the J mounts, and you will need to modify the trans mount and driveshaft. And you need to remove the 'extra shroud' to fit an L rad further forward. Thats all basic stuff, as ive done it all in my 510.

My concern is the engine bay. Is it just a matter of swapping engine mounts? Are there any other clearance issues? THe e-brake system for instance?

PIcs would be greatly appreciated from anyone else who has done the swap. Info and guidance as well.

Im trying to weigh the cost vs benefit of an L/5 speed swap vs rebuilding the tiny J13.

Thanks in advance!!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I know the e-brake is the same from 1966 threw 1972. The future stock L block radiator mount holes are hidden behind the J block radiator core support, so you just cut it out, otherwise everything was basicly made the same from late 68 till 72 in the engine bay sheet metal as far as i know.

Good to hear, yeah, i can see the holes already. The more i dig into this J engine the more i am concerned that the money spent on IT could pay for another swap to stick a brand new L19 in it with a ZX transmission...

• 1 month later...

Nice smack down ggzilla.

Bought it from a friend last year, rebuilt it over the winter, and i now have a very happy running and broken in high compression L19. Yeah, its essentially an L20B, its cammed so its a little soft under 2k, but im happy with it. No loss or excessive cost to rebuild, same as any engine.

Also, even if i were to have created it myself, what cost?? Its assembled from easy to find bits n pieces.

Anyway...i suppose on top of it all, i have the rare poo green 510 with the "WTF" engine. Its different.

L19 costs more and is less than L20B ... what's the point? L20B will rev to 7000 RPM, so no advantage to the shorter stroke. Theoretically there is but you'll never notice it.

My L20b might rev to 7000rpm if I floor it in neutral, the highest I have had mine is 5000rpm, and there was nothing left, except to wait for it to blow up.