Fuel Pump?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The fuel Pump on my 74' 620 needs replacing. Need input on Mechanical vs. Electric Pump ?

First the Hitachi fuel pump hardly ever breaks down or wears out. Just last year I fired up a 710 that had been sitting 8 years since the owner died and drove it 100 miles home and to Canby and back that summer. That pump is 37 years old now.

There's a better chance your fuel filter is plugged or partly plugged, fuel line is plugged or partly plugged or pinched by a rock, carb float stuck or needle valve stuck or plugged, one or more jet plugged.

What makes you think it's the pump?

Nissan fuel pump diaphragm # 17053 21017 from the dealer about $10

The pump is the last thing I would check.

If the fuel filter was clogged, or the fuel line to the tank clogged with sediment or crushed there would be no fuel coming out of the pump too. Get a container of gas and run a hose from it to the inlet of the pump and try again. Better yet, cut to the chase and....

If you haven't replaced the fuel filter, do so. Cut the old one open and examine the contents. If full of rusty crap your tank is likely full as well.

I find that if the tank has been run dry it takes a while for the pump to draw fuel up from the tank. I dribble a few teaspoons of gas down the carb and start it up. It will rev up and probably quit but after a few tries the fuel finally gets to the pump and it runs after that.

Us all caution with open fuel containers around a running motor.

If the fuel filter was clogged, or the fuel line to the tank clogged with sediment or crushed there would be no fuel coming out of the pump too. Get a container of gas and run a hose from it to the inlet of the pump and try again. Better yet, cut to the chase and....

If you haven't replaced the fuel filter, do so. Cut the old one open and examine the contents. If full of rusty crap your tank is likely full as well.

I find that if the tank has been run dry it takes a while for the pump to draw fuel up from the tank. I dribble a few teaspoons of gas down the carb and start it up. It will rev up and probably quit but after a few tries the fuel finally gets to the pump and it runs after that.

Us all caution with open fuel containers around a running motor.

Thanks guys!!!!!! I went ahead and replaced all the fuel lines and the truck started right up!!!!!!!!! Now I need to find the gasket that goes on the square front of the carb, any suggestions????????

Are you talking about the sight glass gasket?. I have 2 or 3 old stock Hitachi carbs that I have used for parts. I could check and see if the gasket is good. Some of the Hitachi carbs have different size sight glass. Could you measure the gasket and give some diminsions? I'm not sure if you can get a new gasket for it. It may come in a re-build kit but I'm not sure. I have never rebuilt one but have bought rebuilt ones from a place in Forida called National Carburetor. You might consider buying some gasket material and cutting out your own. I have done that for a lot of different aplications.