SR20 510 - Where to move the proportion valve?????? HELP!

datsunpilot

I am redoing the brake lines and really...all the brakes in my 510 before I put the SR back in. I know the drivers side of the LHD cars are tight because of the turbo and the steering box. The proportioning valve is mounted right there on the drivers strut tower originally but I do not know if it is too tight there to leave it or if the turbo would cause any issues with heat. I have a top mount turbo so the down pipe will be sliding right down the firewall next to the steering box and brake master. I know this should be too difficult but I have it torn all down so I do not want to install it and have it interfering with anything else. Please help any suggestions.....

Thanks again everyone.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SSS you havent had any issues with yours in your SR? You have a top mount turbo also? When I had the engine and turbo in there for a mock up it looked really close and I have read else where that it should be moved in case it ever needs to be worked on - but I figure if I am replacing everything with it why would I need to replace it. I am just on the fence about what to do. Do you have any photos. Thanks for your help!

I don't think the 510s had a proportioning valve. Brake bias is achieved by differing wheel cylinder size. You may be thinking of the pressure differential switch that warns of a loss of pressure in one of a dual system braking system.

I do not know that it is a proportioning valve for sure but I think it is. It is a junction box that has the brake line going in and then lines coming out to each corner of the car.

That is all true - I put it on the other side, just the valve and one or two lines to see how it would be with the lines but then I felt like I wanted to clean up the engine bay as I had already taken out the battery tray and many other parts. I could leave it where it is bc it would be hidden by all the turbo stuff. I was also thinking of putting it under the car on the passenger side next to the passenger frame rail where it meets the body. If the car is too low I could make a simple skid plate for it.