Auto trans fluid type?

Hi guys, I have a 70 510 wagon with an automatic and am wondering what fluid type to use in it. I have a Haynes owners workshop manual and it says Castrol TQF. It looks like this was a product for Ford's and I've read a few times that the ford stuff shouldn't be used. I tried doing a search and didn't come up with a definitive answer. What do you guys recommend?

Thanks

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

510s used two different automatics. My 1969 used a Borg Warner automatic.

For the JATCO type, Automatic T/M Fluid: Type DEXRON (3N71B A/T)

From my 1972 Datsun Owners manual (Daily Care page), these were recommended:

* CHEVRON A.T.F.

* ESSO A.T.F.

* MOBIL A.T.F. 220

* SHELL A.T.F. DEXRON

* SUNOCO Transmission Fluid DEXRON Type

* TEXACO Texamatic Fluid DEXRON

Any DEXRON compatible will work, including:

* DEXRON 6

* DEXRON III/MERCON

The bottle should say something like "Suitable for use in applications calling for DEXRON

Must be Dexron type. Any brand you wish. Castrol TQF is European I think and may not be available. I believe all Dexron type I, II, III, VI are reverse compatible. It has been reformulated many times and improved over the years.

In the old b210 trans that was in my car i used wolfshead ATF. I can try and scrounge up another bottle for the exact title. Got 6 quarts from a friends transmission shop. Stuff works amazing litterally fixed what I thought was a bad transmission and everytime I check it comes bag clear as the day I poured it in.

Most Borg Warner automatics are specified for Type F -- not Dexron.

Of course as mentioned before some type of Dexron #? claims to be compatibile with Type F. But most types of Dexron are incompatible.

Check your 510 owner's manual, it will list what you need. Or, check the automatick dipstick, it may be stamped what kind of fluid to use.

I looked in the owners manual which has an issue date of September 30th 1969. The car has a production date of 12/69. It has a Borg Warner full automatic. I'm still not sure what to put in it based on what has been said here. To me, all of these sound like regular old ATF Dexron and the transmission is not specified to have a Type F fluid. Was there a cutoff date where they changed the fluid type in the Borg Warner's maybe?

The manual recommends:

Texaco Texamatic Fluid 6673

Castrol TQ Dexron

BP Autran DX

Mobil ATF 220

Shell ATF Dexron

Sorry, I know it shouldn't be this difficult. I just don't want to cause more problems with the transmission. It's low on fluid and I need to fix that before further diagnosis.

Thanks again.