Project Bush:: 1984 Nissan 720 4X4

max2004

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, the Nissan frames. Hell what am I saying,... the Datsun frames... they are welded or have a seam to the inside of the truck that always rots first and continues out of sight until one day you drive over a bump and the truck folds in the middle. My 620 frame rotted until there was nothing holding the front leaf spring mount. The permanent fix was an '82 frame replacement, but with a welder and some steel it can be fixed and painted over. Your's could be much worse. It's always the rear half; from the cab forward it's rust proofed by engine blow by. lol

When done wire wheel it clean and brush on black rust paint and in the summer when the frame is dry inside, get an oil an and squirt some in all the holes to rust proof the insides.

My daughter said: hey Dad, let's take it up into the bush and wreck it.

And then burn it. I said, thats exactly what I was thinking!

Then I thought, no I MUST complete my 1st Nissan Project!!

I was thinking of removing the thin inner frame wall, make it a C-frame.

Then s**t won't sit there and rot. And weld flatbar where necessary.

OR

Cut the frame off just behind the cab and replace it with something else.

Anyone ever gone here before, any ideas??

If you cut it off just behind the trans case, or further if good and solid, you probably could weld a 2WD rear frame onto it. There's not that much difference between them back that far. 4X4 springs are the same length, passenger's side shock mount may have to be moved forward on the 2WD frame (no biggie).

Do-able.

Do you have a welder and some ability? Is it a toy or a hauler?

You could always build a new frame.

My jeep will be getting a new frame sometime this summer built from 2" x 4" .120 wall rectangular tubing. The old one is mangled and patched, and nowhere near straight. But it's my Jeep :)

If you do that the options with a 4 x 4 are endless. Toyota front like Mikes, 4-linked with coilovers... Sky's the limit depending on the ability, $ and the want/need.