Paint stripping questions?

Just kind of curious, what are some good tools to have for stripping paint? And what's a good way to strip it quickly?

I'm trying to get my bodywork done early, however I'm having a problem getting the car stripped quick enough. I've been using a few different tools so far with a little luck. So far I've used a nice Craftsman power drill with a 6 inch sanding attachment and 40 grit paper, and a variable speed angle grinder with a sanding attachment. The only problem is that neither of them strips the paint quick enough. Theres several layers in place and all of the paint and body guys I've spoken to said I should have no problem getting it all down to the metal in a few days.

What kind of stuff do you guys use to rip off large areas of paint really fast?

Input?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

offten called air craft striper is soacks in to that paint and than you can just scrap it of with a puddy kniff

Tried it blink.gif

It literally turns the lacquer paint I used into gum and doesn't come off.

Duplicolor lacquer is tuff stuff.

....the stripper didnt take the paint out easily? ....A heavy duty liquid alkaline stripper should take that shit out quick.... it emulsifies the oil in the paint, and turns it into a paste .... keep in mind it will take some elbow grease no matter what route you take (especially if you want it done fast) .... otherwise if you dont want to do any work, take it to new mexico and leave a window open.... the car might get torched or stolen....but you wont have paint.... hell mabey after a few decades youll have a bitchin patina....

....the stripper didnt take the paint out easily? ....A heavy duty liquid alkaline stripper should take that shit out quick.... it emulsifies the oil in the paint, and turns it into a paste .... keep in mind it will take some elbow grease no matter what route you take (especially if you want it done fast) .... otherwise if you dont want to do any work, take it to new mexico and leave a window open.... the car might get torched or stolen....but you wont have paint.... hell mabey after a few decades youll have a bitchin patina....

lol I kinda expect to spend time on it, but I spent about a week getting a door sanded. The lacuer is SUPER tough. The paint stripper literally did nothing more then just turning the paint to gum and soften it. Then I had to wait for it to dry back on and sand it off dry.gif

The paint stripper literally did nothing more then just turning the paint to gum and soften it. Then I had to wait for it to dry back on and sand it off dry.gif

:blink: .... well myfriend ... dont use Adamantium based laquer paints :lol: ..... yeah if that didnt work id suggest a flapper wheel, or a finishing wheel on an angle grinder.... altho if you dont have much xp with either id have to retract my last statement, because flapper wheels (when not used properly are notorious for kicking back and breacking bones, or lacerating the operator (im an emt, and ex combat medic)..also you can damage the steel if your to vindictive... but good luck none the less, ill keep thinking of someway to get that paint off tho

applying stripper then covering it with cling film (/plastic wrap, glad-wrap, pallet wrap would probs be more economical) helps out pretty good if you want to give it a try

most of the people i see doing bodywork use a random orbital sander to cut back paint, maybe 9-10in in diameter. air ones are sposed to be good cos they're lighter (working on a car for 8-10 hours a day, weight does make a difference!)

I use one of these:

http://www.portercable.com/Products/CategoryOverview.aspx?catPath=4272.4288.4296

It takes 6" stick on sanding disks.

There is really not fast way. The more aggressive paint removal techniques get, the greater likelihood of damage to the paint.

I have also used this method to remove rust, and it does remove a lot of paint, but not all of the paint. It does take a while to work, but you can put a part in the electrolysis solution, and leave it working for a few days while you do something else.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/3012-electrolytic-rust-removal/page__p__40613__hl__electrolysis__fromsearch__1#entry40613

I use one of these:

http://www.portercable.com/Products/CategoryOverview.aspx?catPath=4272.4288.4296

It takes 6" stick on sanding disks.

There is really not fast way. The more aggressive paint removal techniques get, the greatewr likelihood of damage to the paint.

I have also used this method to remove rust, and it does remove a lot of paint, but not all of the paint. It does take a while to work, but you can put a part in the electrolysis solution, and leave it working for a few days while you do something else.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/3012-electrolytic-rust-removal/page__p__40613__hl__electrolysis__fromsearch__1#entry40613

"faster" is usually more destructive on the bodys car... setting it on fire is really quick :/

try the paint stripper again but try scratching the hell out of the paint first it usually helps the stripper bite into the first coat.