How much to cut down 280zx tubes?

I just bought the Troy Ermish coilover setup, and I am running the 280zx front struts. I am going to be taking the 280zx parts to get altered and I was told by Troy that I should shorten them 1/2-3/4 inch and use a spacer with the mr2 inserts. Then, reading on the forums I see a lot of people say they cut theirs down 2 inches with the mr2 inserts. I have read several threads and have not found an answer I am comfortable with considering I am going to have to tell someone exactly how to alter my suspension, so I am asking you guys to help me with this info. I just need to know the advantages and disadvantages of altering them in these two different ways.

Thanks!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess you can do it two ways mesure the length of the tube internally from top to bottom and then measure the insert and deduct from there. Or you can cut the tube and then put the portion you cut off with the nut screwed on next the housing and insert installed to see where it all fits and then measure the amount you need to cut. the main thing is you need to keep the top portion that has the threading. remember also it is easier to cut metal than to add metal so if ermish says cutting 1.5 is recommended and ends you need to cut more at least you have room to play but if you cut 2" you may end up too short.

I guess you can do it two ways mesure the length of the tube internally from top to bottom and then measure the insert and deduct from there. Or you can cut the tube and then put the portion you cut off with the nut screwed on next the housing and insert installed to see where it all fits and then measure the amount you need to cut. the main thing is you need to keep the top portion that has the threading. remember also it is easier to cut metal than to add metal so if ermish says cutting 1.5 is recommended and ends you need to cut more at least you have room to play but if you cut 2" you may end up too short.

Yes I agree I had mines cut 2" end up being too short 1.5 sounds right

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You are working with two different approaches to suspension design with the different cut numbers that you have been given.

Troy gave you a dimension that has been proven to work extremelly well in a race car application. I.E. not intended to be the lowest car on the highway or at the shows. Troy is building for extreme function. Also generally running much higher spring rates than a street car, thus keeping it from bottoming out while maintaining suspension extension travel.

The other numbers that you have found is aimed at making the insert fit in the shortest strut housing possible, generally with the intent of lower the car much further than would be functional on one of troys race cars. And also running a lower spring rate than a race car, so any additional travel from the shorter housing is desireable.

So, two methods to go about it, neither is wrong. But you have to build them for their intended use.

I personally would go the shorter housing route, simply because 99.9% of 510's are street cars. A very few see the occasional track day. And until you spend enough track time and are at the competition level that troy is at, you will enjoy the slightly better ride quality when driving your street car.