Headlight issues

SyCK

So my parking lights haven't worked and I tracked that down to the fuse and replaced it. Now with the new fuse in the headlights wont come on and can hear the fuse box clicking when I try and turn them on. If I pull the parking light fuse back out the headlights work again, what's the deal? Bad fuse box? Relay?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, gosh, 510 headlight issues. Where to start.

510 have three fuses for the lights. One fuse for the right side headlights, another fuse for the left side headlights, and a third fuse for the parking lights.

The headlights on a 510 are switched on the ground side. Power goes to the common terminal on the High/low headlights, and then to a relay, that has separate contacts for the right and left side of the car. After the relay, the power goes to the headlight switch, and after the headlight switch, to ground.

The headlights are likely in the HI beam position and the bulbs are burned out. HI beams cannot be turned on unless the parking lights are working. If the fuse was bad the head light relay would default to LOW beams that may be OK. As soon as you got the parking lights working the relay trips to HI beam and they are out.

Turn the headlights on and switch the turn signal arm towards the dash (or pull towards you I forget) and this will switch to low beams.

The headlights are likely in the HI beam position and the bulbs are burned out. HI beams cannot be turned on unless the parking lights are working. If the fuse was bad the head light relay would default to LOW beams that may be OK. As soon as you got the parking lights working the relay trips to HI beam and they are out.

Turn the headlights on and switch the turn signal arm towards the dash (or pull towards you I forget) and this will switch to low beams.

Bad ass, that seemed to be exactly the problem! I guess I need to pick up some high beams, thanks for the reply!