D22 Engine Swaps

I know this is Ratsun not Nissan4x4forums or something but you guys know your stuff- so here goes

My dads Vg33e powered d22 frontier (navara) gave up this week and we are looking at options of engines to swap in with ease.

We are diesel fans and we looked at the td27t and decided it might be underpowered for the highway- also cant find any- cant find td27 qd32 or zd30. and a jdm guy said they wouldnt match to our trans even though they come in navaras all around the world

Its a auto- and he doesnt want to pull trans if he doesnt have to- he likes auto for driving from job site to job site and taking phone calls. is the trans a jatco or what? a fsc71 or whatever like ka's? i would like to know what trans it is (google wasnt helping me) and if a vg30dett or vq40 or vk45 or vh45 would match up to it- that is if we cant find out how to match up a diesel (if we can find a diesel)

we also considered the 4bt but we think its to heavy for the d22 and prob too tourqy for trans. And we also considered the toyota diesels and vw,, mercedes, bmw etc are not "bolt up to trans" swaps- which is ok- but then they need a transfer case for 4x4 on drivers side- and they dont :S

so what will best match up to the trans ( and what trans is it?) and we are looking for 120hp+ and preferably diesel torque but we dont want the vg33 again b/c its a shit engine

what would you suggest?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Swap in a VG35 from a Pathfinder. 240hp, lots of torque, haven't heard much bad about them. The problem is with all that new crap, you have to figure out the computer, which is usually the hardest part. As for the motors, we don't have the diesels in the US, so this is probably more a question for the Canada guys on here.

It's 13+ years old so the easiest/cheapest thing is a new VG motor. Plug and play. Skip all the complex ECU, miss match wiring, transmission, exhaust/tranny sensors crap. That Frontier won't last forever why bother with esoteric motor swaps? A new motor will outlast the rest of the car.

we ended up putting some lucas oil treatment in it and driving it to the dealership- did a trade in for a king ranch f250. it just sucks that there is close to know lhd jap diesel vehicles in north america and they are everywhere else in the world- its retarded