1986 multi 4WD rear struts?

Anyone have a line on rear struts for an 86 multi 4wd. I've looked everywhere with no luck. everything online says they are shocks or inserts but the are very similar to the front struts only with a bigger spring seat.

Brock

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can buy the cartridges new from Nissan

* 56205-D4626 (56205-D4601) Jan 86-June 86

* 56205-D4627 (56205-D4611) from June 86

Nissan Multi Stanza Wagon (Nissan T12)

Thanks, but those won't work on the back of the 4WD. It has a hub like the front and two through bolts to hold the strut to the hub. Think Sentra front strut.

3730220.gif

Thanks, but those won't work on the back of the 4WD. It has a hub like the front and two through bolts to hold the strut to the hub. Think Sentra front strut.

here is the actual diagram.

nissan-stanza-rear-suspension-strut-431b02.png

At $260 per side you can see why I don't want to go to the dealer....I only paid $350 for the car. I can't believe no one makes these in the aftermarket.

Brock

Why won't they work? They are for the back of the Multi. They are strut cartridges, not the whole strut.

To be honest I can't say 100% they won't work(haven't taken them apart yet,still need to drive the car) but the manual does not show the procedure for rebuilding them. As a general rule if the FSM doesn't show this procedure then they are complete sealed struts and are not rebuildable. Most struts these days are of this design and the fronts definitely are this way. The rear struts on the Stanza and on the Axxess are the cartridge style, but the 4WD Axxess also shows this sealed strut design too.

Brock

Yes, the factory manual won't show a rebuilding procedure. You just change the cartridges, you don't rebuild them as with older Nissan struts.

In your diagram, the cartridge is listed as number 55203K and 55303K.

The older struts that you could put a cartridge in always came rebuildable first, then when that died you put in cartridge. The rear struts on the 90's Axxess are even this way, but I can't argue with you on this point as I haven't pulled them apart yet. I'll let you know when I get a chance to pull the rear strut apart.

Brock