1964 NL320 want list

I picked up a very secondhand NL320. There are quite a few items total that I will be wanting but I am going to start My search off slow.

First, Correct rear bumper. The driver's side bracket is missing. Are the brackets the same as standard 320s?

Second, correct front bumper. Also, are they the same as a standard 320?

Top complete NL bed trim.

Dash gauge cluster with gauges.

Thats it for now.

steroid620@yahoo.com

Thanks, Mike

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there Mike, The rear bumper is going to be tough, as far as i know it only came on the NL320s and the U320 models. Maybe they were put on something else, but I don't have that info. The rear brackets i haven't had a reason to find out. The front bumper should be the same as the L320s. The rear trim for an NL320, your going to have to find a NL that is being parted out i think. The gauges are just 320, there all the same. Did you buy that "intence320" truck? wayno

Hi Wayno...

I bought a truck that came from a guy, that came from another guy that ended up owned by a guy NAMED GUY ! ! !

This NL was the one that was in San Diego. I saved it from being cut up. Parts went everywhere, including, unfortunantly, the VIN plate. I'll make that work somehow though. Anyway, not everything was removed, so My list isn't too long. I was hoping the bumper would be easier. I can "de-chrome" it and fill in the side holes. No big deal there. I do need a grille like Yours, with the turnlight lens too'. Everything pertaining to the rear lights are gone. My grille should be just like Your's too. Hard to find? So, I thought I would start with the easy stuff first. I cann't imagine why they took the top bed trim. Maybe it was flawless. A bed cover can take care of that though. Tailgate and latches are intact so I count My blessings there. Door handles are there but one is not complete. The "push button" is gone. The side glass is intact. Different length on an NL? If so, more blessings counted!!

Thanks for Your reply. I just need to start rounding up the body stuff. Who knows what engine and tranny I will put in it. Automatic for sure though. I am debating on a Jeep 4 cylinder Post Office truck and tranny. That should fit, yes?

Hi Wayno...

I bought a truck that came from a guy, that came from another guy that ended up owned by a guy NAMED GUY ! ! !

This NL was the one that was in San Diego. I saved it from being cut up. Parts went everywhere, including, unfortunantly, the VIN plate. I'll make that work somehow though. Anyway, not everything was removed, so My list isn't too long. I was hoping the bumper would be easier. I can "de-chrome" it and fill in the side holes. No big deal there. I do need a grille like Yours, with the turnlight lens too'. Everything pertaining to the rear lights are gone. My grille should be just like Your's too. Hard to find? So, I thought I would start with the easy stuff first. I cann't imagine why they took the top bed trim. Maybe it was flawless. A bed cover can take care of that though. Tailgate and latches are intact so I count My blessings there. Door handles are there but one is not complete. The "push button" is gone. The side glass is intact. Different length on an NL? If so, more blessings counted!!

Thanks for Your reply. I just need to start rounding up the body stuff. Who knows what engine and tranny I will put in it. Automatic for sure though. I am debating on a Jeep 4 cylinder Post Office truck and tranny. That should fit, yes?

The grill can be found on the L320 PU, there are several differant ones, you have the square/rectangle holes in the front fenders? There is another type/version that you can make work, the late 65 grill. I have two really shitty 1964 grills, but that road is a ways off, right? The tailights are going to be a really big problem, even the guys with taillights and bezels are all wanting better ones as theres are bad, the only way I know to fix this is to find somebody to make a mold for the bezels and make new ones, as for the rear lenses, there was a guy in ca. that was making them, but I talked with him recently and offered to buy 10 sets, he thanked me for my interest, and told me to call him back later, I have not given up yet, but??? I'll call him back later, but it might be years. The trim around the bed can be fabracated i think, and covered as you mentioned. The door handles can be bought new I beleave, or at least in good shape, they are the same as the L320 pickups, and they are also the same as the early datsun roadsters(65-67), so the roadster suppliers have them. Yes the doors are differant than the pickups, 3 to 4 inches longer. The engines that will bolt in I beleave are the E1 blocks and the J13 and J15 blocks but neither of these has an automatic, others such as the B210 A14-15 block will fit, and they did have an automatic, they take a few changes to fit the 320 frame, one of them is the stock idler arm, it needs to be removed and a more modern 521 smaller one needs to be put in, otherwise you have to use a remote oil filter. I know nothing about Jeep drive trains. wayno

Hey Mike, this is Tana, the gal with the 320 wrecking yard and lots of parts. No rear NL bumper sadly or anymore rear lens. I too tried to get in touch with the guy who had made some and really no replys.

I do have a front bumper, instrument cluster, door push knob, many other 320 parts....write me: vindats@yahoo.com

or call (425) 255 5591. I can send you pics at my email I gave you.

Hey Mike, this is Tana, the gal with the 320 wrecking yard and lots of parts. No rear NL bumper sadly or anymore rear lens. I too tried to get in touch with the guy who had made some and really no replys.

I do have a front bumper, instrument cluster, door push knob, many other 320 parts....write me: vindats@yahoo.com

or call (425) 255 5591. I can send you pics at my email I gave you.

I have talked to the guy down in California about the NL320 rear lenses, he says it is a side thing that he does when not busy, the problem here is that he is now busy making rubber parts, and has no interest in making a new mold for the taillights, and says it is hard and expensive(takes time) to make the mold. He told me to call him back later this year and that is what I will do. I offered to buy 10 sets and he didn't even pause, thanked me for my interest, and told me to call later. If anybody out there knows anybody that does plastic injection molds/molding, or knows how, we need to get together and figure out how to make it worth there while to make a run of rear lenses. Otherwise we will have to wait on Greg, and hopefully he will sometime this year. I will try not drop the ball on this, but I do not want to harass the guy either. Does anybody personally know the guy? wayno

I assessed the taillight situation. I have BOTH bulb housings. There is one broken lens. The lower pieces that are pressed sheetmetal(?) are gone from each side. If somebody could loan Me one, I could have a mold for those made and fiberglass ones made. I am missing the chrome lens "surrounds" on both sides. With that being said, Did I really luck out by the bulb housings still being there? I know We are waiting for lens' to be made but what about the chrome "surrounds"?

One other observation. In looking at as many 320 pictures that I can find, both L and NL trucks, there seems to be a discrepancy on door locks. Some trucks only have one. Mine has them on both sides. Now, when I was building My 1956 Ford panel, I found that a few F-100s had only passenger side locks. I was told that years ago, to prevent drivers from being struck, that there was a law where You had to slide across the bench seat and exit Your vehicle from the passenger"s (curb) side. Interesting observation. Not sure what year that law changed in most states. Also, I saw only one picture of a stamped sheetmetal plate on a panel where the second taillight was. VERY RARE I was told. I never found one of those plates at Pomona or F-100 runs. I almost purchased a 1939 Ford master 2 door sedan before jumping back into 620s. It had factory one taillight. Any early Datsuns in the U.S. ever recorded having one taillight?

Wooo Hoo ! ! !

My VIN plate has been located!! It should arrive this week!! I now will NOT be moving the NL body over, but correctly registering it with it's original number!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.