Fuel( I hope this is the right area)

howjamin

I've been working out the bugs and ticks out of the rebuild I completed not to long ago. Learning a bit more as I go. Now I have this weird (at least to me it's weird) issue taking place. When I fire the motor cold, it's fires right up. After driving for a while, shutting it down, doing what I need to do. I go to fire it back up and nothing. However, If I let it sit and get cool it'll fire right back up. Is there any ideas of what it may be or where to start looking for the issue?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Start with the big three. Compression, Ignition, Fuel. Given all three in the proper amount, and time, the engine will run. Millions of engines prove that everyday.

Check for spark when it is warm. Go smell the exhaust when it will not start. Smell gas, suspect ignition. No gas smell, suspect fuel. Another trick with an engine that will not start is to dump a little gas straight down the carburettor. It should fire, maybe with a little cranking.

It is possible that the compression is going bad when the engine is warm, so, do not rule that out. In fact, the first test I would do with the engine is a compression test. Definitely do it warm, in your case.

I will be able to do a compression check once i get the truck home. Right now it's behind a locked gate at my local dump. Had to leave it there and take my wife to the hospital (from the dump in her dodge) cuz I (not intentionally) stabbed her hand with a hay fork.

I've been working out the bugs and ticks out of the rebuild I completed not to long ago. Learning a bit more as I go. Now I have this weird (at least to me it's weird) issue taking place. When I fire the motor cold, it's fires right up. After driving for a while, shutting it down, doing what I need to do. I go to fire it back up and nothing. However, If I let it sit and get cool it'll fire right back up. Is there any ideas of what it may be or where to start looking for the issue?

Vapor lock?