How would you repair a rusty 720 pickup bed ?

coolioni

Hello :

I have a 720 pickup that has a bed that is very rusted. It has the usual rust spots down the seams on the sides. And on the inisde there are many areas that have completely rusted through.

should I just try to buy a bed that is not rusted, or is there a cheaper way to fix all of this rust ?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello :

I have a 720 pickup that has a bed that is very rusted. It has the usual rust spots down the seams on the sides. And on the inisde there are many areas that have completely rusted through.

should I just try to buy a bed that is not rusted, or is there a cheaper way to fix all of this rust ?

A rust free bed is your best bet.... 85/86 beds are usually pretty clean because the bedsides are seamless..

Good choice Steve. I think they also have an inner wall to prevent cargo dinging the outside.

Yes the 85/86 beds do have a inner wall. I had one on my 84. The only thing that you will have to do is change your tail lights to the 85/86. On mine they had left the 84 tail lights in and they didnt fit in right. At the corners they didnt sat out away from the bed. Here us a oic0421001940.jpg

Yes the 85/86 beds do have a inner wall. I had one on my 84. The only thing that you will have to do is change your tail lights to the 85/86. On mine they had left the 84 tail lights in and they didnt fit in right. At the corners they didnt sat out away from the bed. Here us a oic0421001940.jpg

yep, all of the above.... keep in mind a clean bed might be $400 or so... but an entire 720 might be free... keep your eyes open