b210 madness

octobeak

So this is my old 1975 b210 I bought to deliver pizza in that I purchased about 7 years ago. This is my third b210, I can't get enough of these awkward little cars. I've had this project on the back burner due to my other projects: mainly my 1971 road race inspired chevelle, a street fighter 1990 honda hawk, and my recent 1946 ford pickup build.

med_gallery_7857_801_11266.jpg

I have a total of 6 projects going on at the same time so the little datsun had to wait. I started this conversion about 6 years ago after purchasing the 1979 280zx, but life changed a little and it ended up in pieces in my back yard... this is how it looked then.

med_gallery_7857_801_259258.jpg

My current task is to pull all of the guts out of the Z: Engine, tranny, rack and pinion steering, complete front and rear suspension with differential and driveshaft, Fuel tank with sending unit, gauges, wiring harness, etc...

The zx is 1" shorter in wheelbase and at least 6" wider, this coupled with its independent rear, r200 differential, 4 wheel disc brakes and the L28(twice the original displacement) it should be pretty knarly...

Here is a quick mockup I did by superimposing a b210 body over a z chassis:

gallery_7857_801_36098.jpg

The firewall setback is extreme, putting me very near the back seat of this diminutive datsun, but a full cage with grab bars and a detatchable steering wheel should make it more manageable. On top of having a fast car I also need gas mileage so I can replace my 1993 civic hb as my daily driver. My current budget is $1000, so far the total investment is about $300, the rest should go to material for fab work and typical repairs...

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have the hookup at a steel yard but I do have left over steel(46 ford project extras) to reinforce between the front and rear suspension mounts. The z is purely a parts car so I will be using the existing transmission tunnel, firewall, rear end sheet metal between and including strut towers and whatever else I need to massage the swap in. I am also not a fabrication wizard, but I am a hard working do it yourself-er and nothing has stopped me yet. I will need to buy some steel, mainly for a roll cage.

med_gallery_7857_801_28757.jpg

I started unearthing the 280zx last thursday but my allergies got the best of me. I'll start at it again this weekend, maybe get the zcar on the back porch with its little brother and get it off the ground.

• 5 years later...

I'm very excited to be working on my car now that was my brothers pride an joy he left to me behind after he passed I been out of it but I'm ready to get this baby going the only thing is I'm in need of a rear end differential for my 1975 b210 and iv looked every where I even order some over seas but they came to big does anyone know of one I can get a hold of I need to get this baby up and running!!!

Welcome to Ratsun blanco.

This is an old post, in fact inactive for 5 years and, it is someone else's. If you would go here..... http://community.ratsun.net/forum/6-project-datto/ ... to Project Datto and over on the upper right of the page click on the dark box marked START A NEW TOPIC.

Start with  title and tell us about your B and yourself. This post is now totally YOURS and no one else. You can come back to it over and over to add to it and receive replies to your questions. A project thread grows along with you and becomes a diary or log of everything you do to it.

If buying or selling I would ask that you do so in our CLASSIFIEDS section ... http://community.ratsun.net/classifieds/category/5-drivetrain/?sort_key=date_added&sort_order=desc  ... There is a handy link at the top of every page just below the RATSUN.NET logo. This keeps out forums clear for information sharing and discussions.

The only place you will find another B-210 axle or differential is from another B-210. Best bet is a wrecking yard, next is an abandoned B-210 or one sitting in a yard. Another idea is a Ratsun want ad, maybe a member has one. Datsun owners know never to throw stuff away.